Native Pennsylvania cactus

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Just caught this post! Thanks for the pics! I LOVE habitat pics! :thumbright:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great habitat shots Zhanna :) Even better when they involve Opuntias :D
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

They grow wild in my yard here in MD. It was one of the pleasant surprises I found when I bought the place back in 96. I have, of course, increased the number of species available in my yard....including a large Echinocereus trigliochidiatus that wasn't even fazed by this years winter (which doesn't seem to want to end....) (I used to argue with somebody on this site about this subject is not allowed...until Daiv made me stop!! :shock: ))
<i>"obsession has to have action"</i>
http://www.TheNatureDepot.com
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

mikayak wrote: (I used to argue with somebody on this site about this subject is not allowed...until Daiv made me stop!! :shock: ))
Where's the topic?
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

We're not allowed to talk about it....this here place is for cacti....
<i>"obsession has to have action"</i>
http://www.TheNatureDepot.com
TexanEd

Post by TexanEd »

Seeing the Delaware River reminds me of my great-great-grandfather who fought during the Civil War under Robert E. Lee. My g-g-grandfather was captured and imprisoned in a prisoner of war camp at Fort Delaware which was located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. He was later released at the end of the war and migrated to Texas in a horse-drawn covered-wagon.
Ed

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rodgers
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Again, I'm thrilled that everyone enjoyed the photos! I know that this isn't the typical cactus habitat so I figured they would be a nice change of pace. Hopefully I will find more cacti around here soon and have more images to share.

Neat story, TexanEd! Pea Patch Island is a bit further south on the river—actually in Delaware. I guess your g-g-grandfather never left Texas ... I don't blame him! (I wonder if he was a cactus fan too!)
John C

Post by John C »

TexanEd wrote:Seeing the Delaware River reminds me of my great-great-grandfather who fought during the Civil War under Robert E. Lee. My g-g-grandfather was captured and imprisoned in a prisoner of war camp at Fort Delaware which was located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. He was later released at the end of the war and migrated to Texas in a horse-drawn covered-wagon.
Neat story!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

mikayak wrote:(I used to argue with somebody on this site about this subject is not allowed...until Daiv made me stop!! :shock: ))
:lol: Yep, I remember that! Since the other half of that argument left and never came back, it is good to not get into those "hot button" issues here. I learned a lot from that discussion - mainly that even when someone makes a calm, polite response without being rude (Mikayak), some topics are so emotional that just the fact that someone disagrees is more than some can handle.

Of course, there is no shortage of places to debate those topics on the web, if one so chooses. :|
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Beautiful pics Zhanna! 8)
I visit family there in white oak, pittsburgh and McKeesport and Im always shocked by how green everything is there in the summer compared to where I live in so cal.
It's Great that you have found cactus there and in such a beautiful spot too, what river is that overlooking?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

well now Tony, the Delaware Water Gap has something to do with...the Delaware River. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

#-o Well of coarse it would! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Hi Tony,

It is indeed the Delaware River. On the other side of that river is the fine state of New Jersey.

It is typically very green around here in late spring and summer. But the green gets old quickly, especially when you realize how much rain/humidity we need in order for it to be so "lush." :|
peterb

Post by peterb »

I found it very challenging growing cacti in Pennsylvania when I was a kid. I did have a huge clump of Opuntia compressa (humifusa) in my yard that was a mass of flowers every spring. My brother ran right over it with the lawn mower one year and by about 2 years later it had easily quadrupled in size. :-)

There are parts of Pennsylvania that are so densely wooded and lush, it's like pioneer times still. World's End State Park, for example. Wild country.

peterb
Zone 9
jacob1986

Post by jacob1986 »

nice pics, America is a beautiful country!!! How's the weather in that part of PA?