Night Queen epiphyllum

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Rain

Night Queen epiphyllum

Post by Rain »

I notice you didn't give any common names for Epiphyllum crenatum, so I thought I'd chime in. The two names I know are Brahma kamala and "Night Queen". The latter name is known and loved by many old hippies, because the scent is the basis for a wonderful, unusual and very fresh-smelling incense of the same name that was common in the US in the '60s and early '70s. (I'm happy to say you can still find it if you look.) Just my $.09. <--(adjusted for inflation) :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Interesting re: "Brahma kamala," what seems to be the common name in India. I can imagine Epiphyllum crenatum grows and flowers well in India.

peterb
Zone 9
Rain

Post by Rain »

Yep, it's apparently common and well-loved in parts of India; all the Night Queen incense I've seen is from there, not from the New World, and incense plants tend to be the ones people have real feeling for--scents that carry memory and emotion, not just a nice smell. :love7:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks for the note. I can add that to the list. The common names are mostly listed as for mild interest as they are often localized and questionable. Which is also why listing these names is not a bad idea either.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti