Jason's Junk -- '09

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Always great to see the Opuntia hybrids and selections. There are some great ones and you have quite a nice collection. I also have the "Taylors Red". Mine insists on growing new pads this year when all I really want is a flower or two. :wink:
I see your not faint hearted when it comes to handling Opuntia pads bare handed. It takes a real "Opuntimaniac" to pull that off. :wink: Every time I try that, I regret my arrogance. :? Funny thing is, I never learn. :lol:
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think sunrise is my fav in that bunch. Although, they are all excellent! Don't forget some overview shots of your garden Jason!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mendel

Re: Jason's Junk -- '09

Post by mendel »

So its been 14 years since I posted in this thread...... :shock:

I started another business, and retired again. :lol:

I lost my whole collection along the way, so its time to build a new one.

I just constructed an 8 x 16 lean too on the south side of my house, wow that was expensive. I decided to go with solexx for my covering the frame is made from cedar. Ill be starting seed in it soon, probably end of feb, its sealed, and already getting up to 110 in the day if I leave it shut up.

I anticipating constructing a 30 x 60 cold frame in the next year or so.

When I figure out how to get pictures from my phone to this website, ill show some pics of the lean to.

Most of my seed is very old, so I dont know what to expect from germination rates. Will be eninocereus, corypantha, scleros, pedios, various diminuative opunitas.

Im not dead yet :lol:

best regards, mendel
Southeast Colorado, zone 6b
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Welcome back! Good luck rebuilding!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Yeah, welcome back. Are you planning on growing more outdoor cacti?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
westfork

Post by westfork »

Best of luck rebuilding your collection. We had a similar hiatus from cactus growing for about twenty years. But when we started we only thought opuntias would survive up here in the northern Midwest and unfortunately never experimented with many other species. Then we tried to clean up the cactus bed but were never able to exterminate the buggers through hacking, fire, glyphosate and other herbicides at 5x label rate, etc. - At least we learned how to weed around the cactus :lol:
We are enjoying experimenting with various ball cactus now, and have even found somewhat local escobaria to play with. Even trying some interesting well-behaved opuntia that likely won't colonize our lawns through errant pads or have goals of world domination. You are fortunate with your climate in eastern Colorado to try a wide range of cactus outdoors, sunlight and grandkids allowing.
Iowa / South Dakota border area. USDA zone 4b/5a Heat zone 6-7