Sunken Plant

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
templegatejohn

Sunken Plant

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

Thought I'd throw this one in the pot. I have a small (4 cm. wide) Astrophytum asteris x capricorne plant and during this last winter rest period one side of the plant has shrunken inwards. The plant shows no other sign of stress, shrivelling etc. and the area that has shrunk inwards seems hard and healthy (no rot). I have never come across this before. I assume it is down to lack of water, but it has been too cold here to risk watering the plant.

Anybody else come across this problem? I am hoping when watering commences that it will swell out to its normal shape.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi John,

I've never heard about & never experienced a similar thing. My advise is to wait until it's time for watering. Be careful with the first two waterings, don't pour too much water.

I have an A. asterias x capricorne too, a bit smaller than yours - just 1.5 cm high and 3.5 cm wide. Very nice plant, covered with small white spotts and having good visible white areoles. And just one spine!

Eduart
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi John,

Same thing has happened with my plant. About one month ago I've noticed that one rib was simply collapsing. I didn't water but I was keeping an eye on it. As it was getting bigger and bigger I decided last weekend to place the plant indoors and water it lightly. After 2 days it was obvious that it took up some water and looks quite normal.

Isn't it strange? It happened with the same hybrid, although it never happened before with any of my cacti.

Eduart
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey this is really neat! This post covers a record amount of time for this forum I think. An answer comes 5 months later. Better late than never, I say!

:lol:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Eduart,

Thanks for the information mate, I am pleased yours seems to be OK, Mine has never really recovered totally, but seems quite healthy.

All the Best
John