Pachyphytums?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

Pachyphytums?

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Picked up these cuttings recently and wondered which they were. seem rather common, similar but different enough that they probably are not the smae. The one on the right has a ghostplant look, but is larger than the ghostplant I have.

Thanks Mike

Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

I think that the lighter colored one is your ghost plant, Graptopetalum paragauyenese. The head size varies a lot depending on sun and temperature conditions. I'm guessing that by this time next year, you won't be able to tell the difference.

The other is some pachyphytum hybrid. There are a lot of them.
Buck Hemenway
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hi mike, I'd go with paraguayense, as Buck says the rosettes vary in size, and colour is variable also, dependant on available water, amount of direct sunlight etc.
Here's mine, it's a stumpy old plant 20 years plus, has always lived outside even throughout our cold wet winters.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hi mike, I'm not sure about paraguayense for this one, colour doesn't look right, but as Buck says the rosettes vary in size, and the colour is variable also, dependant on available water, amount of direct sunlight etc.
Here's mine, it's a stumpy old plant 20 years plus, has always lived outside even throughout our cold wet winters.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Interesting on the ghostplant. Here is a pic of the same one, bottom right, with other similar succulents. To its left and sort of surrounding it is the ghostplant I have - it has remained fairly constant in size etc for over a year, even some planted elsewhere in the yard, So certainly very different.

To the left of the ghostplant in the bottom left is Graptosedum poindexter, then clockwise - Sedum clavatum, Echeveria elegans and finally Pachyphytum mandas.

Mike
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

Blooms will give a lot of information. The mutli-branched inflorescense with small star shaped flowers will ID graptopetalum, single stalk with hanging flower pachyphytum and there are two or three types of echeveria flower stalks. The sedums really mess the scheme of things up. Just when you've got all of the others neatly tucked in to their botanical niches, someone throws in a sedum that looks just like any of the others.
Buck Hemenway