Two no-ID succulents

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tinsel

Two no-ID succulents

Post by tinsel »

Hello!

I'm uncertain what these plants really are:
First might be Aloe or Agave or even Haworthia?

Second plants are Gasteria, but which one of the species? The reason why I'm looking for information of this Gasteria is, that I wonder if it's a kind of plant, which grows indoors durning winter season (like Aloe variegata)?

Is Genus Saxifraga classified to be a succulent plant? It behaves like a one, but I have never seen them in any succulent book or list.

Lots of question :wink: - I'm more than happy to learn more
tinsel

Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Tinsel,

The first is an aloe, nice clump of them, and a beautiful flower. It is a hybrid with at least one parent being Aloe brevifolia.
The second is a gasteria, I think G. bicolor unless someones else has a better name.

Both should grow right along side of Aloe variegata.

I don't know anything about saxifraga except what I read on this web site: http://www.saxifraga.org
Buck Hemenway
tinsel

Post by tinsel »

Thank you Buck H!
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi tinsel :D

From the look of the leaves on your aloe it could be Aloe haworthioides. Is it a very small plant? They only get a couple inches around. If not then Buck is probably right.

Same question about the gasteria. Is it fairly small? Then it could be G. liliputana

Franj
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Franj,

Both plants look larger that the ones that you are describing to me. I will take pics of both tomorrow for comparison.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
r_shazrin

Post by r_shazrin »

hey i am some of them gasterias in growing in my office. they look exactly like yours... only mine has many tiny offsets on both sides.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

For the Aloe, have a look at A. humilis. Infloresence is a dead ringer for yours. Given a bit more light the plant should turn the more normal gray/green color.

The Gasteria is probably a form or hybrid of the extremely variable G. carinata v. verrucosa.

Just my 2c worth!

GeneS
tinsel

Post by tinsel »

Hello again,

About the Gasteria image: that pot's diameter is 10 cm/3.9 inches, so the plants are too big to be liliputana? I have seen G. carinata and G. bicolor related plants in local botanical greenhouse. They look same kind of plants, but they are not exact the same. I have some G. carinata var verrucosa plants, and they look very different if I compare these plants together. G. carinata var verrucosa's ''leaves'' are slimmer and white dots make a structure on ''leaves'' you can feel.

About the first plant - the unknown Aloe cluster: plants are rather small and flowers much bigger than you could expect. One ''leaf'' is about size of a finger, approx. 2-2.5 inches high. Google found similar looking flowers in Aloe humilis images (now I understand what you GeneS meaned by saying ''dead ringer'' :wink: ). Nice to know at last what to seek after. It's that kind of a Aloe I'd like to have.

Many thanks to you all!

Ps. r_sharin, nice to know somebody else who has similar plants :)
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Looks like good old Gasteria maculata to me or at least one of its forms.

John