never cultivated a cactus from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
greenbaron

never cultivated a cactus from seed

Post by greenbaron »

So the seedpod on this little guy eventually changed color, got fuzzier and dried up. It finally fell off the plant, but for no reason really I'd just left it in the tray...
I noticed today it had split and inside were 17 viable-looking seeds... hadn't really considered the possibility, but how hard is it to start a cactus seed? Can anyone point me to a basic "how to" thread that might help me get started?
iann

Post by iann »

Germinating fresh Frailea seed is easier than falling off a log. All it needs is warmth and moisture. Plenty of moisture, quite a bit of warmth.

Growing on the tiny seedlings takes practice, but you have free seed to practice on :)
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Once the fleshy fruit starts to dry up and the outer skin starts to get flakey and somewhat transparent, it can be picked and sown.

As Ian said, very easy to germinate and pretty easy to grow. In a year they'll be the size of your pinky finger, in 2 years the size of your thumb and probably flowering.
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I fall off logs every easily...so hopefully my frailea will make me some seeds to grow, as at the moment it is doing something. No sure what but it's growing something fuzzy from the center and I'm sooooooooooooo excited!!! \:D/
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

wow, only two years! that's great! I've sown them this morning, will update if anything happens for me!
good luck with yours moonbeam, glad to hear you found one (or more?). if i can grow some out, i'll save one for you :D
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

so after they've all germinated I guess they don't need a lot of humidity?
iann

Post by iann »

so after they've all germinated I guess they don't need a lot of humidity?
You'd think that, wouldn't you. But you'd be wrong :shock: Cactus seedlings need fairly high humidity and protection from direct sun. Weird, huh? In habitat they would get this by growing partially buried between stones or under other plants.

With low humidity, the tiny roots will struggle to keep the plant hydrated. Either you will need more water which runs the risk of rotting the seedling, or the plant won't grow very fast.

Direct sun will burn most cactus seedlings, so you'll need artificial lights or some type of shading. Full shade is generally too dark so shade cloth or perhaps morning sun.

Opuntias and a few other species will take sun and dry air much better than other cacti.
--ian
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

hm, interesting. they are in a bonsai pot and the pot's in a glass terrarium (sp?) under fluorescents... just thought they might like fresh air after germination. what about letting them out after dark?
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

greenbaron wrote:good luck with yours moonbeam, glad to hear you found one (or more?). if i can grow some out, i'll save one for you :D
I've decided that I need about a hundred of them, I will place them all over everywhere; and in the end maybe I'll get one to fruit or flower that doesn't get swiped.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

My 2 latest spring sowings have been in baggies the whole time, ~60 and ~120 days.

It's amazing i've been able to resist leaving them in for that long and not opening them at all! Being really busy helps ;)
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

I agree, that is an accomplishment. I did take mine out this morning to count the little balls... 16 of 17 germinated, but that last seed still looks good so maybe it is just slow. Back into the terrarium, and I will leave them alone for as long as possible! :)
greenbaron

Post by greenbaron »

...that last seed has germinated, so i'm 17 for 17. now the hard part...
about 3 are light purple coloured, the rest light green. move closer to the lights? and just how long do they need to stay in these conditions of nearly 100% humidity? a few pieces of perlite are growing algae! TIA :)
greenbaron

about a month old...

Post by greenbaron »

Well, this is a hard thing to take a picture of! Anyway, of the original 17, I lost just 1 (damping off?), and here are the rest:
I think I may move them to where they can get more light. They're still locked up in a jar for humidity...
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Nice!
Good job.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looking good thus far!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti