Growing Stetsonia coryne outside (Phoenix, AZ)

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
deserthozho

Growing Stetsonia coryne outside (Phoenix, AZ)

Post by deserthozho »

8) Just purchased a 15" tall S.coryne to add to my Sonoran Desert property. There are a variety of Cholla, Opuntia and other cacti growing naturally on the property, but I want to add some quick growing columnar cacti. I'm new to the desert and to growing cacti outdoors - I'd like advice on any soil amendments needed, watering, fertilizing, etc. I'd also like opinions on the speed of growth of Stetsonia coryne, as I've read conflicting reports from very fast to very slow.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Oh man, you are in Cactus paradise! You've got so share some pictures with us!

You should not have to make any changes to the soil and only water sparingly if you want to help them along. Most columnar cacti will do just fine for you. The smaller globular cacti would probably be hit and miss for you. Have you been to the Desert Botanical Garden on the east end of town? Here is a bunch of pictures I took there:

http://www.cactiguide.com/piclocation_d ... enix,%20AZ

This is a must see for any cacti enthusiast. You will note a large S. coryne in the collection. There are also some large tree Opuntia's that you might want to try. Those are really neat, fast growing, and not your every day type of plant.

I think the speed at which a cactus grows sometimes depends on the plant. I've had some that grow like crazy and then the same type right next to it plod along. I would say give a plant in the ground a couple growing seasons. If one is not growing dig it up and reset it. Maybe even wack off a few roots, but be discerning before you do.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Ive got one of those guys in my yard in Phoenix. It does great with very little care at all. As for soil, do not ammend. If you have typical Valley soil that is perfect for the plant. If your soil is particularly heavy on the clay perhaps you might cut some gritty gravel and/or sand into the planting area.

As for growth rate, I would not expect anything too rapid. Mine has been growing very steady but very slow. I do not water it too much, at least directly, as there are regular sources of water nearby the plant. I suppose that I might get it to grow faster with more water but Im pleased with the performance and I dont want to risk overwatering it.

If you are looking for something columnar with a faster growth rate, parhaps try Stenocereus marginatus (Mexican Fence Post) or Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro). Both of these selections have been nice growers for me and respond with more rapid growth the more water they receive. Ive not had any rot problems with them either.

Best of luck and please share some pictures!
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Don't count on the Stetsonia being too quick. The various Trichocereus (old name) columnar species generally are fast growers. The retail nurseries in the Phoeinix area sell a lot of species and hybrids of Trichocereus for exactly the reason that they grow fast. Try to find T. spachianus or hybrids thereof. They are big and fast. All of the Thrichos make beautiful blooms.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Pilosocereus chrysacanthus and other Pilosocereus have all grown fast for me. Another speedy and easy to come by cactus is the old standby "Cereus peruvianus", but it isn't as interesting because it is so common.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
comike

my toothpick grows fast

Post by comike »

I'll say first that I'm an amateur.
I have an indoor toothpick thats 11" tall & fat.

Roughly a year ago it measured 4 3/4 inch tall, I wouldnt know it (or believe it!) if I hadnt written it down. For me its (by far) the fastest growing cactus I've had contact with.

I know our settings are different but I still wanted to comment. In Dec '05 I put it in a bigger pot-re-using most of the soil I'd originally repotted it from the first time (it came from Home Depot in a small pot) The soil it obviously likes is just regular houseplant soil with wood chips in it.

My own watering interval trick is: I grab the top of it & try to move it horizontally -when its roots feel real tight in the soil its dry & I 100% drown it with water. That varies -but prob. every 2 to 3 weeks year round. ---take care, Mike
deserthozho

Thanks for all the advice

Post by deserthozho »

:D I have followed the planting suggestions and since we are at the base of Superstition Mtn. I planted the cactus where the ground isn't solid rock but an area where light weight grit accumulates from a nearby wash. It will not actually get wet during even a heavy monsoon so I'm sure it will be safe.
Also, this week I purchased and planted 1 Stenocereus marginatus (Mexican Fence Post) and 2 Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro).

:?: There are lots of hedgehog cacti and cholla, is there a variety of short opuntia or groundcover type cacti that you could reccommend for the full sun in Phoenix?
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Try Opuntia basilaris (Beavertail cactus) for a low growing opuntia species. They do fine here in full sun. I think your best bet for a groundcover cactus would be the hedgehog family, there are some native species that will thrive and you can find them in a wide variety of flower colors. Sounds like you already have some in your garden. Of course you can always use golden barrels (Echinocactus grusonii) as an excellent low grower, not really a ground cover but it will give you something interesting low to the ground (maybe it IS a ground cover!).