Project - Question Please

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

And thank you here too!

Yes I hear you on next year. Differences already noticed but I am really looking forward to next season. But who knows spring may see a real greenhouse go up.

In any event this has worked out well and has gotten me exactly what I wanted; no fear of rain and constant exposure to the best light possible. Not ideal, it is a bit smallish (but comfy with a stool) and ventilation is tricky. But everything is within reach and it makes a nice hide out! 8)
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

masscactus wrote: Plants come in at night mostly to regulate temperatures. If I build this out completely it will open the range up quite a bit.
I left my cacti out all summer, without covering, and you know what kind of rain we got this year. :shock: I'm finally bringing them all in now.
Still, you are much better off with the higher temperatures of a greenhouse. My father helped me build a greenhouse on his property a number of years back. He eventually turned it into a shed, it was the same size.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hi All,

My "Greenhouse" is go for 2010, took the winter beating like a champ. I threw a tarp over it, occasionally knocked off the snow and hoped for the best. Uncovered this spring, I only had to replace plastic on the back half of the roof.

Some upgrades! New shelves to promote better airflow.

And a door/removable wall! Previously was just plastic hanging down, shower curtain style.

I was surprised the plastic held up as well as it did but fully expect to replace it sometime this summer. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the generous application of water sealant really made a difference as the entire structure (floor included) is dry, tight, and looking good. Plants went out 5/2 but then back in a week later for overnight frosts. Plants went out again the 12th and I believe will now be out until September! Pictures soon, fireworks on the way!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Bryan,
That is swell. I think that using the tarp gave you extended use of the plastic by blocking the UV. If you can get the UV coated stuff made for greenhouses specifically, I am sure you'll be glad in the long run. Aside from not breaking down in the sun, I found it to be overall more durable than the everyday plastic sheeting.

What is the water sealant that you are referring too?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hey Daiv,

Water sealant (Thompsons or similar) for all the wood - multiple coats, inside and out, floor included. I dont water pots openly though, I use a tub to catch draining pots then put them back in place. Not that the wood sees a lot of direct water but humidity, moisture, etc. that works its way in via staples etc. I dont see any warping or rot.

There is a good chance I will put up a "real" greenhouse this summer so I am a bit reluctant to keep building on this. Plus, its about full with all the plants in place.

I love it though, my little cactus fort. :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Got it. I thought you meant some kind of sealant on the seams or something to prevent rainwater from getting in or something.

I know what you mean too. Home built projects are more personal than a kit.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

masscactus wrote:Hey Daiv,

Water sealant (Thompsons or similar) for all the wood - multiple coats, inside and out, floor included. I dont water pots openly though, I use a tub to catch draining pots then put them back in place. Not that the wood sees a lot of direct water but humidity, moisture, etc. that works its way in via staples etc. I dont see any warping or rot.

There is a good chance I will put up a "real" greenhouse this summer so I am a bit reluctant to keep building on this. Plus, its about full with all the plants in place.

I love it though, my little cactus fort. :D
That's why my father turned mine into a shed eventually - the wood started rotting with no sealant. I just put all mine outside- no greenhouse- which is chancy- because of frost. Plus exposing them to direct sun gives them sunburn. One of the few times my ariocarpus bloomed was in a greenhouse.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I use screening inside, you can see the difference in the second picture - no screen to the left. A few plants got a bit of sunburn last year prior to screening but no problems since - learning curve, the initial transition from partial exposure to full exposure is best done slowly.

Yea, I am way too obsessed to simply throw my plants to natures whim - in this "New" England climate anyway! :lol: Frosts in May, 80+ degrees in April, month long gloom - yikes!
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

masscactus wrote:I use screening inside, you can see the difference in the second picture - no screen to the left. A few plants got a bit of sunburn last year prior to screening but no problems since - learning curve, the initial transition from partial exposure to full exposure is best done slowly.

Yea, I am way too obsessed to simply throw my plants to natures whim - in this "New" England climate anyway! :lol: Frosts in May, 80+ degrees in April, month long gloom - yikes!
I learned my lesson, I put mine in the shady part of the yard to begin with. Except my agaves. The first time I left mine outside I was pretty apprehensive because it was miles away at my parents house and I couldn't get them indoors and it rained for two weeks, but they survived. That was 25 years ago. I lost two last year because all it did was rain, if you recall. The only other problem I had was with some mature Cereus Peruvianus that got anthracnose, and they didn't seem to adapt too well outside at first because they were probably in a greenhouse all their lives. Prickly pears seem to be more adaptable than the other kinds of cacti for the outdoor treatment.