Project - Question Please

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Right on.
Be sure to post up your progress pics :)

BTW, Tony is being too modest. Those benches he made will most certainly last more than 5 years! The man is a carpenter, they are built to last 8)
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Done, almost. Far from perfect, or ideal, but way better than what I was doing that is for sure. As my first greenhouse project, it was inexpensive enough ( ran about $100 and I had to buy a nice staplegun and misc. hardware) and I learned , oh did I learn. :)

It is roughly 4 ft. by 4.5 ft. and about 5.5 tall, no I cannot stand up in it. The back is open for now with plastic draped down but I'll end up changing it. We'll see how it goes, maybe it will be an oven, maybe not. It is sturdy and stable for now - after a nasty thunderstorm? We actually see a fair amount of bears in my neighborhood too, I wonder if its bear proof...

Time to order more plants!
iann

Post by iann »

Is it bolted down? You'll definitely need to remove the seeds when (if?) the sun comes out 8)
--ian
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hi Ian,

Not bolted down. Its on a base and weighted inside. It is fairly heavy. The lo profile and positioning near the house helps to eliminate wind concerns.

I attacked it with a hose and it is sea worthy :) . No leaks. Shaking and bumping has not spilled plants but I am a little leery with those pots perched on the top shelf. I may change up the racks for a large shelf, I dunno, I'll be tweaking endlessly now. Solid roof soon too - HD wants big bucks for acrylic for some reason, I see it much cheaper elsewhere. I am confident in its overall construction.

Today its clear and going to 80. Ill be watching temps all day.

Bryan
Tony

Post by Tony »

Lookin good !
Watch the temp, I can see it getting really hot inside without at least the back open, it would here anyway. And I think I would anchor it down just to be safe. Other than that I think you got a winner there. :)
Good luck with the bears. :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Thanks Tony. 8) Today is mostly clear and sunny with an outdoor temp of about 80F or so. Temps in the "greenhouse" range from high 80's to high 90's. Probably a 100F in places I have yet to measure. It is getting direct sun at about 10:45 AM or so that will last until about 4'ish.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Currently in Chino, CA @2:00 pm 94f outside.
Inside the greenhouse. :sunny:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Heh, yea thats hot!

Off to a good start. I put up some shade screen on one side at the end of the day. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot and clear again - I don't wanna push it. Opening the back cools it down nicely. I noticed flowers opened much quicker today! 8)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Excellent! Your plants will go much further with that than just out in the elements.

Is that a particle board floor? That would mean you'd have to move all the plants out to water? That is one thing you might want to reconsider. Obviously up to you, but a pea-gravel floor works very well. It drains nicely and soaks up heat during the day and keeps it warmer at night. The sheet plastic sides will release heat very quickly when the sun isn't shining. Much faster than glass.

As for the acrylic - be careful as there are two similar products that are very different. The acrylic is pretty much indestructable, but runs over $40 per 10' x 3' sheet - This is why I only used it on the roof! The fiberglass stuff is probably a third the price, but it is easily breakable, not fun to cut or work with and quickly yellows.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I missed your response until now Daiv, sorry.

Yes totally agreed. I already notice a few subtle changes. Flowers are opening much quicker for one.

The floor is 3/4 plywood yes. I usually water over a tub if im not outside :) . I used a water sealant on everything, including the floor and underside, prior to wrapping it. I figured the floor would add weight to it to keep it in place and provide stability to the overall frame given the back is open. Actually, I was thinking of spreading gravel in it anyway. Bad idea? If temps are really going to be crazy I'll move plants in anyway.

I feel bad for saying, considering Andy's bad experience today and our relatively close geographical locations, but we had some serious thunderstorms whip through and my little fort passed with flying colors. I'm excited for now but still want a real greenhouse. :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

masscactus wrote: Actually, I was thinking of spreading gravel in it anyway. Bad idea? If temps are really going to be crazy I'll move plants in anyway.
Well, that is bad if there will be any moisture on it. Even with water seal, that wood will quickly deteriorate with water. With no gravel, it will dry out much more quickly at least.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I was more concerned with it harboring pests :) . I don't intend to get the inside floor wet, if I can help it. A bit here and there maybe but the goal is to keep it dry inside. Understood as well that ply has a rather quick lifespan when exposed. The water seal will slow it down at least. I think it will be fine throughout the rest of the season.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hi All,

Some status if anyone is interested to know. Thus far things are going nicely. I moved all the plants out two weeks ago and they have been out since. Our temperatures have been pretty consistent with high 70's to 80's and down to 50's overnight with a few exceptions. Occasional clouds and a few classic summer thunderstorms.

The "greenhouse" has remained dry and stable, no problems. At this point I have screened in three sides 8). Have a few plants showing a touch of sunburn but nothing severe. The increase in light is really nice but I have had to watch closely. The reflected light from all angles, not just the direct sun, is so much stronger now. Watering has been adjusted as the plants adjust.

Temps inside, as best I can measure, seem ok. Hot at the peak to ambient at the floor. Plants are situated mid range, mostly high 80's to 90's. They all seem to be doing well and outside of the few with some sunburn, are showing no visible signs of stress and seem to be thriving. Time will tell . :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That report is exactly what should be happening. You can ease off the shade as they get used to the brighter conditions. Most cacti would be happy with more sun than you could ever give them in that area as long as they are gradually accustomed to it. Temp levels sound really good to me.

I have a feeling that the more time passes, the more pleased you will be with what you are doing here. You may want more space, but you'll be very happy with the whole "greenhouse" results.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Dunno how i missed the final update :dontknow:

meanwhile a month later...
Looks great, Bryan!
The big difference will come next year, once the plants have become accustomed to the GH's generous TLC 8)