Radiation Protection: Fact or Hoax?

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
nexy

Post by nexy »

Plants use the lower (red) wavelengths of light to photosynthesise, and that is why they appes green, and why when you are for example stood under a tree, the light appears softer, and slightly more green.
Also, if plants needed UV light to survive, the would not survive in a greenhous, because glass is a very good UV filter. This is also why you can't sunbathe in a greenhouse, or car, or anything that is under glass.
Regarding the radiation... Even hypothetically speaking, if cacti (or any other plant) were capable of "absorbing" radioactivity of any kind, it would be rather dangerous to keep one, as the plant in question would then "trap" the radioactivity.
In fact, musrooms "trap" radioactivity, or rather they keep the radioactive substances in them for longer than other lifeforms. It is for this reason that it is not advised (in western Europe at any rate) to eat wild mushrooms, as they are still more radioactive than normal after the Chernobyl disaster.
Hope that helps understanding :wink:
swords

Post by swords »

Now I really have read every conspiracy theory!

William Burroughs was a CIA assassin, Robert Anton Wilson was the head of the Bavarian Illuminati, my cats are aliens from venus and my cacti are spreading radioactive cancer.

It all makes perfect sense now! :D