Please help me with this Texas cactus.....

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jwpacer31

Please help me with this Texas cactus.....

Post by jwpacer31 »

I'm doing a plant collection for systematic botany. I collected this off a large cactus today and I can't seem to Identify it. Here's a link to a picture I took of it. http://www.geocities.com/jwpacer13/cactus.html

If you figure it out, please email me at JWPacer31@aol.com. I have AOL instant messanger too so you can IM me if I'm online. Thank you all so much. :lol:

Jay Whaley
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Jay,
I am going to have to go with Cylindropuntia tunicata (I haven't got any images of that one on CactiGuide.com) as the most likely candidate. There is a possibility that it is C. imbricata, but I don't think this is correct because the ribs on C. imbricata are more tuberculate than yours are. See if you can find some other images out there of C. tunicata and compare them with your plant.

Daiv
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Man, I almost forgot!
Kari has put some work into the Cacti of Texas specifically check it out here:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones ... _texas.htm
kari

Post by kari »

Thanks, Daiv, for the heads up!

It is the obiquitous and omnipresent Cylindropuntia imbricata, at least, as far as I can tell! The spines are not as numerous or large as one might expect, but the fruits definitely fit the bill.

JW: if you happen to see one in bloom, rich purple, have a taste of the petals! Very sweet!

Kari
Allen Duncan

Post by Allen Duncan »

Hi Jay! Until I can get out in my Chihuahuan Desert Garden, I'm going to agree with Kari...Cylindropuntia imbricata. Will study it and let you know in a few days. Allen
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well I guess I'll go along with the majority since it looks like the Cylindropuntia imbricata I have growing in my frontyard :)

Later
Bill