My First Succulent!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Demone

My First Succulent!

Post by Demone »

hello all,

well, i've been tending to my cacti and following the information from this site, but today for my birthday my sister got me this cute succulent. a very beautiful plant i must say!

so, of course i took some pictures, hoping for some identification :D

here it is:

oh, and i took a few black and whites of it, just for fun!

help welcome! oh, and information on this plant as far as care goes. thank you :D

- Adrian
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Welcome Adrian,

You have a very nice Sempervivum. There are hundreds of cultivars, but this one is a S. tectorum, probably with a cultivar name attached. They are native to the mountains of Europe so will stand cold well and don't particularly like our inland Southern California summers. They are commonly known as Hen & Chicks and have been grown on front porches in Europe and North America for as long as people have been appreciating pretty plants.

Watch for mealy bug. The light grey area in your first picture is probably just old stem, but mealies love to eat sempervivums.
Buck Hemenway
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Right, Buck. They are quite common here. They are appreciated for their beauty (plant and flowers) as well as the fact you can leave them outdoor at winter. And they spread rapidly, a nice cover ground
Dominique