So I ordered these Cacti from an online source

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JoeCactus

So I ordered these Cacti from an online source

Post by JoeCactus »

Came in a box USPS wrapped in paper. Here are the pictures and I'm wondering are these in good shape.

Hey taking pictures of seed is harder than it looks I think I needed light from a different direction.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

The bottom cut could just be rooting poweder..............
Where did you order these cuttings from? There are some better vendors out there.
microgateway

Post by microgateway »

That's what you get when you order from one of those types of sources. I'll only hint towards it, but I'm pretty sure I can guess the focus of the business based on the species.

That cutting is certainly in bad shape. I appears they didn't let the cut dry and it has become infected, which is the apparent black area. It's hard to tell without feeling it though. That black area looks like rot.

On a lighter note, the seeds look fine. You might want to keep them consistantly moist for longer than the label suggests though.

If you could PM me the name of the company so that I know who did this that would be great. Good luck.
Hybrid Hater
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Yes, please PM me about the company name too.

Actually, the bottom cut does look like an infection, you should cut off that part and dip it in a rooting powder with a fungicide in it so it will prevent it from an infection.

As for the black part, those are just things that you can pic off with your finger nail. It will heal.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Sheesh! When I see stuff like that I realize how lucky I have been with my on line orders! Hope it all gets better!
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

The black area with the "bleeding" black is rot from damage in shipping most likely. Put a fan on it and let it dry outside it should be ok.
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

Yeah I'm hoping they all turn out OK. I'd rather find a nursery I can just go to but I cannot find placed around here in the Dallas area. Maybe I have not looked hard enough.
hegar

Post by hegar »

A lot of these columnar cacti, especially those grown outdoors will develop some "beauty spots". Generally there is nothing to worry about those. I do not like the oozing lesions though. I would observe the plant and - if the spot enlarges - I would do some surgery and cut it out, all the way back to the healthy tissue. At the base of the cactus cutting most likely the powder is actually a rooting hormone and it may already contain a fungicide. Both of these compounds will help in establishing the plant in the ground or pot. In my experience, the area that deserves the most watching is near the soil line. If you do see a darkening of the plant tissue there and notice a softening, then you most likely do have a rot, which will quickly move up the stem and kill the plant. If that happens the only action is to cut the stem a few inches above the visible rot, making sure that you do not leave any discolored part on the plant part you try to save. Then you will have to let the cut part heal and callous over and perhaps treat the cut part with a rooting hormone/fungicide combination before planting it.

Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think this is a good source for T. pachanoi and friends as far as healthy plants go:

http://www.trichocereus.com/index.htm

I am quite sure your cutting will do just fine with a little TLC. These things are quite vigorous.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I don't like the black markings in the tip. Still, whatever the condition you should treat it more or less the sane: keep it warm and dry for a while until everything is fully callused over. If anything starts oozing or collapsing into mush then you may have to start chopping. Or call in that lifetime guarantee ;)

There are many online sources for healthy Trichocereus as well as other cacti, but very often they are not the large (pieces of) plants that "shamanic" shops are selling. Miles 2 Go lists a couple of species but they are fairly small. Mesa Garden has many more but I think they will be even smaller. Shipping large live columnars about in good condition is not very practical.

I do recommend that serious growers avoid places selling plants mainly to be eaten Tey will eventually attract attention from bored lawmakers and then more cacti will become illegal to possess.

The seeds should be fun. These things are fast growing although that might only be a few inches a year at first.
--ian