My Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Wayne

My Seedlings

Post by Wayne »

I'm wondering when to remove my seedlings from their enclosed containers and plant them into little pots. (in groups)

Here is a pic of one to get an idea of their size and growth stage.

I sowed the seeds on the surface of the soil, I'm wondering, should most of the stem be under the surface?

Also, when should I allow them to have more sunlight? (bare in mind I live in north england, sun doesn't show itself much here!)

Thanks in advance for any comments!!

The ruler is in cm.

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

whow! I've never seen a cactus grown from seed before! Thank you for those photos!
Visit my cacti blog:

http://www.cactus.blogger.ba
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

They look fine to me Wayne, speaking for myself I'd have them under a 50% shade cloth outside, and I'd keep them in the container there in for about another month or a couple weeks. If all the seeds are about germaninted I'd start to cut back on the watering a little, young seedlings have a tendancy to rot quickly (but they dry out quickly also) but it looks like there doing just fine to me. I dont know how the UV is there in the UK but here in Arizona we pertty much just cook! I'd start getting them to harden off some myself.
Ken1983

Post by Ken1983 »

Yeah they look fine, i guess i shall update my thread too. Check it out soon~
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Leave them as they are for as long as possible, the shock of transplanting will be too great for the young roots. Anyway cacti seedlings are one of the few plants that actually like to be 'crowded' together so there is not a problem. Leaving them for 12 months is not unusual, depending on how fast they grow. Globular ones will certainly stand that amount of time in their original containers.

John
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Here is an update on my seedlings, couple of photos.
Taken with my new macro lens, they are a lot smaller than they seem :-)

- Wayne

Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I'll agree with John 100%. No need to rush seedlings into a transplant. As he said, they like being crowded.. 12 months in the propagation tray would be fine and dandy..
Bill in SC
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

A grower told me he tries to keep his seedlings in the tray as long as possible, mostly about two years. This means that all the "unhealthy" seedlings die in the process and you keep the healthy plants. If you try to move them after about 6-12 months, you destroy the roots of even the healthy ones and some will die together will the unhealthy ones. So keep them together as long as possible.

Congratulations Wayne: you've done a good job. They're starting to look like cacti :D.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Congratulations Wayne: you've done a good job. They're starting to look like cacti
Hurrah!!

Is it ok that the mini-cacti are on the end of long stem-like things?

I wasn't sure when to remove them, so I took 4 out and re-potted them together to see what happened :-) I'll leave the rest in their trays now though.

I water them every few days, but I dont soak them as the trays dont have drainage holes. Also I removed the lids a while ago. I hope I'm doing it right!

- Wayne
Last edited by Wayne on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yup, it's normal. You're doing it right.
hob

Post by hob »

mine don't have those long stems.........am i doing something wrong ??

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hob, I have some that look the same as yours, so I think they must be normal :-)

- Wayne
aajoo

Post by aajoo »

I agree with you about the suggestions given to Waine but when the pot is really overcrowded like here, what should we do? Remove some of them or live them all together?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ohh man Aajoo what are you going to do with all of them when they grow up!
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

wow thats crazy, i'd wet the soil and slowly prick out the less developed ones.

nice going on your seedlings wayne