Stop Gap Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

Stop Gap Greenhouse

Post by Harriet »

I broke down and bought the same green house as the one in this post: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12792. Heard somewhere that the SE US is supposed to have a record cold and wet winter this year and, while taking all my plants in and out of my garage once or twice a winter is doable, a lot of trips will not be cool.

Couldn't see spending more on a permanent structure until I know what I need. (I think what I may need is an enclosable shade house more than a full blown Green House.) So, we are going with this as a stop gap for now.

Maybe by this time next year I'll know what I need and will be posting pictures of a Florida Cactus Palace in my backyard.

Stranger things have happened! Really, they have.
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Good Deal!! now the winter rain worries will be over!! Cant wait to see pics.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I can't wait for it to get here!!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I was really impressed with that when Robert posted all the features that go along with it. It really is a well-designed unit. I think you'll be surprised at how non-temporary it turns out to be - just guessing!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

daiv wrote:I was really impressed with that when Robert posted all the features that go along with it. It really is a well-designed unit. I think you'll be surprised at how non-temporary it turns out to be - just guessing!
I'm hoping there is a lot of bang for the buck that comes with it. I wonder how it will hold up to the wind gusts we get with storms, and I'm guessing that I am going to have to rig some sort of coat-rack like contraption to hang a couple of plants on... (I have a couple of large staghorn ferns that could benefit from frost protection...)

But it is all something to look forward to!
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Congratulations on getting a greenhouse! From the link, it looks pretty nice, even if it's not glass.
Beginner
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Oh I know the anticipation is getting big now!! Are you sitting by the window watching for the fed ex man?? lol. I hope you get it before the lil rainy spell comes at the end of this week!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

dustin0352 wrote:Oh I know the anticipation is getting big now!! Are you sitting by the window watching for the fed ex man?? lol. I hope you get it before the lil rainy spell comes at the end of th is week!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I work at home at my computer all day. The office has a big window, so yes, I am literally sitting by the window watching for the fed ex man!!! I don't expect to see him soon though. Maybe if I am really lucky he will be here before the rain but I'm not counting on it.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Congrats!
The way you grow plants has just changed :)