It is here! ... And it's done!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

It is here! ... And it's done!

Post by Harriet »

My "stop gap" green house is here. So are the shelves I got to go in it. I think, but I'm not sure, that the shelves have at least 1 billion pieces. I haven't even opened the box the GH came in and it is KILLING ME! My arthritic hip and fake knees are not letting me put it up yet.

See what I mean? At least a billion pieces and not an instruction in sight:

I am NOT a patient person, and I don't think this is all that difficult, so I may have the shelves up before the greenhouse.

Or not.

Progress pictures to come!
Last edited by Harriet on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Rough neighborhood to need bars in the windows ;)

Awesome! Congrats!
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Awsomeness!! I know what you mean about a billion pieces. Just think by this time next week it will be all done and all stocked up with cacti! :D
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

thats nice
cant wait to see it when dun
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Any luck yet with figuring it out??
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

dustin0352 wrote:Any luck yet with figuring it out??
It was easy to figure out after all. The shelves are the worst, and may have been a waste of money. I ended up putting the green house in my side yard where there is constant sunlight (The rest of my back yard gets deep shade for at least half the day even with the sun lower in the sky.)

I'm not done yet with the "build" yet, I still have to figure out what I am going to do about less than level ground, stake it down/into position, do something about shelves, and load it up. But one thing is for sure, I do not want a permanently enclosed green house. The internal temperature of that thing rivals the surface of the sun! It would cook even the hardiest of cacti. I'm going to need a fan for cooling during the days even with all vents open, and a heater to keep it warm at night. Florida Power is gonna love me!

I think I would be happier with an enclosable shade house, or a structure with some kind of roof that I can cover to keep the rain out.

Here are some in-progress shots.

Started out thinking this would be a good place, but the lawn is too nice to kill, three sprinklers would hit the sides, and it gets deep shade from 2PM on to the end of the day.

So here is the side yard before:

And the side yard during the set up.

Still have a long way to go, and it's 90 degrees out there!

When I take the next pictures I may even remember to hold the camera level, the slope is not as bad as the photos would have you believe...
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

thats looks pretty cool easy to take down for hurricanes too
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Congrats on getting a green house. :occasion7:

I know you're not done, but about how long did it take you to get it errect like that? It almost looks like it would be like putting up a tent.
Beginner
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I am still impressed with this greenhouse. Will you be using the shade cloth that comes with it?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It took an afternoon. If I was 20 years younger it would have taken an hour.

Actually my kind (and very supportive) husband did at least equal time, but as I said, it was hot. 90 degrees outside the tent, well over 100 inside. So we did a little bit, then sat in the shade and cooled off for a while before we did a bit more.

It is a tent. It will not make it through our storms, so it is just a winter cactus play house. Once the shelves get put together (in the morning before it gets too hot) and the shade cloth goes on, I think it will suit my purposes well.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

daiv wrote:I am still impressed with this greenhouse. Will you be using the shade cloth that comes with it?
Now that I have cooled down, I am much happier with this green house than I was when it was going up. And yes, the shade cloth is going up. I'll post more pictures when there is something new to see...
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Harriet wrote: Now that I have cooled down, I am much happier with this green house
:lol: :lol: Yea, it's hard to be impartial when you feel like the darn thing is trying to kill ya.

It looks nice - I'm jealous
Beginner
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Harriet,
That looks very similar to mine, although mine didn't come with shelves.

With both doors and all 12 vents open, depending on the wind, it never got 10 or 15 degrees hotter inside than outside...but we don't get that many 90+ degrees in Virginia :)

After a few years with my sunroom, this GH did wonders for me....an amazing increase in both growing and flowering! I know your climate's completely different, but I hope you'll have similar luck.

-R
(BTW my thread about the greenhouse is close to this one :) )

EDIT: Now I remember recommending this model to you in that thread...don't blame me if you hate it!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Whooo hoo! more room for new plants! :D
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

lancer99 wrote:Harriet,
That looks very similar to mine, although mine didn't come with shelves.

-R
(BTW my thread about the greenhouse is close to this one :) )

EDIT: Now I remember recommending this model to you in that thread...don't blame me if you hate it!
If it hadn't been for your thread I never would have known to look for this kind of green house. I only bought it after much thought, so all I can do is thank you! (The shelves are an add on, and seem a bit light weight. The jury is still out here...)

And Tony... 3 arios, a copiapoa, a leuchtenbergia and a pot 'o lithops on order.

I am a sick, sick, woman...