New Project For Summer BIG GH!!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thanks guys for all the help I TRUELY appreciate it.. :D
Tony wrote:The pannels you saw at home depo with the "waves" are what I have been using on all of my tables and also my home made "greenhouse" for about 5 years.
They have both acrylic and polycarbonate at my stores
The acrylic pannels have a smooth wave and the poly has kind of a blocky wave form.
I have no complaints with the acrylic pannels, the cheaper of the two, but polycarbonate would probably be your best bet, its nearly indestructible.
Better still is Lexan double wall polycarbonate sheets or Macrolux multiwall polycarbonate sheets.
They are very expensive but offer much higher thermal insulation but still have high light transmission.
Tony, im glad you know what pannels im talking about and hopefully IF budget is good at the time i will try to go with the polycarbonate, but if not will use the acrylic pannels, will make sure to super suport everything, hubby is real good when it comes to frame work always knowing how bad our weather gets here he makes sure theres not to much space between that causes lesser support, durring winter we will be using a real thick tarp on the top, will fix that so that we can easly pull it back on sunny days with temps above 30 and colder days will leave it on top to help keep heat in sorta like a blanket effect, not sure how high up the roof is gona be but we will keep the very steep pitch to it. Gona work on drawing up the design and plans right after new years as soon as i get it all done on paper will post pic of it.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Well while surffing the web tonight i came across a very beautiful GH and i love the design, nice steep pitch to the roof but we could always make it even steeper.

came across this one to.. :D

I realy love the first one and the color even suits the woodland/property well. Now to in corperate it to the size i need and to also work in a back room complete with another inside entry door for all my humidity loving plants. I think the the cactus and other plants section i need more air flow to help keep them dryer, so maybe hubby will figure out a way to put in slider windows one on each side up front with screen for the summer months but be able to seal them for winter months.

What do you guys think??
StrictlyOrganic

Post by StrictlyOrganic »

cant wait to see this project up and running keep us posted :D
iann

Post by iann »

Looks good. Looks like something you could build yourself without too much trouble.

Are you planning to keep cacti in there all year? Is it practical to heat it? Is it even possible? If so, plan for as much insulation as you can manage. Wood is good, but especially insulate the roof glazing.

You'll never have too much ventilation. You might consider some fairly powerful fans if you can get electricity to it. Its nice if you can convert it to a screenhouse for the summer :)
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes those are real nice! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:( Well change of plans, the pad is not as wide as i hoped it was, its 12ft wide and 40ft long. Soooooooo i guess im gona end up with a GH thats about 10ft wide since i want to leave some pad around the outer edges and up front for a walk way door area.
Heres the pad.. Gona take out the steel tie downs and water pipe thats no longer in use. Im also gona move the buck pole and make a new one on the other side of the old shed.
closer view.

we wont be getting to building it till around end of May or begining of June, still waitting on a big check the IRS owes me thats gona help cover building supplies. Anyways gona redo my drawing plans so that its gona be 10ft wide by 12 or 14ft long which will get me by for now, then next yr expand on the one end with addition for tropical plants and carnivorous plants. Will keep this thread updated when comes time.. :wink: Mushroom season is gona be starting here shortly and im gona be gone in the woods for a month.. :P
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

looks like it will be a great greenhouse maybe after mushroom season you can build the greenhouse
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
iann

Post by iann »

Ten foot is a good width for cacti. It's perfect for generous staging on either side of a reasonable walkway. Even down to eight foot wide works well depending on how wide you are. And you should be able to get good airflow down a long tunnel, instead of just swirling it round in a box shape.
--ian
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

seems to me if memory serves me correct, but most of the greenhouses in Chester County, PA were long and narrow...inother words maybe 8 feet wide by 50 or so feet long. (they were used to grow mushrooms year round actually).
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Well although i didnt get my big GH built this season "Acorn Forest Greenhouse LLC" IS A GO! for spring 2011, will be building sometime in May, one GH for cacti & succulents and one GH for all tropical plants, we have almost everything we need except few building supplies which i will get over winter and then i have few things to work on durring the winter months, other than that its all about hoping winter flys by quickly.. :P Will start a new build thread come May 2011 and post pics as we go.. Its time for me to go hibernate... :D
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Today and tomarrow will be digging the perimiter outline for the frame/platform for the GH's and i have to dig up and move a small baby fur pine. Its our indian summer here right now :D and have 2 days left of nice weather, figured we get that done befour snow fall, that way come spring all we have to do is level it befour we start building. The old cement pad we have we will build a much larger GH in the future.