Update - 3 new articles added!

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Update - 3 new articles added!

Post by daiv »

Three new articles have been added to the articles section.

The first is Mangrove Cactus - reflections of Leland Smith in Nicaragua: http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?arti ... icle16.php

Then Ian and I compiled information from his many very informative posts on artificial lighting. This is a huge amount of information and will make a very handy reference that gets refered to again and again.

http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?arti ... icle17.php

*We could use some more images for this article. If anyone has some images that fit the subject that they'd like to share, please post here.

The third article is one that I wrote that covers a little history on the name "Cactus". I ran into some conflicting information while researching this and think I've sorted it out to get the more accurate data. If anyone has feedback on this, please let me know.

http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?arti ... icle18.php

Hope you enjoy!

PS. The "forum hothead" that is mentioned is not anyone on this forum. It stems from an encounter I had on another forum. A guy attacked me saying that this whole website is flawed because I use the term "cacti" :roll: .
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Oh, I forgot to mention. As more articles are included, I tried to group them. Cultivation and Conservation are easy groups, but I'm not sure I like the "Educational" and "Editorial" categoris. :?

http://www.cactiguide.com/biology/
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Wow, those were fun to read, there's more there than I remember!

I would suggest that since the list header is "Index of Articles" you can remove the word "Articles" from the sub headers as it becomes redundant. The last category does not really contain "editorials" (which more often than not implies "opinion") but does contain really interesting essays, I would change the sub header there to "Miscellaneous" if I felt I needed to be acedemic, or "Fun Stuff" if I didn't!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Harriet. I implemented both of your suggestions. Miscellaneous. I forgot just how powerful that word is!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Looking great! That lighting article is super. The topic comes up witout fail every late summer/autumn. It will be great to be able to refer people there. (politely!)

way to go Daiv, always making CactiGuide better.

peterb
Zone 9
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

daiv wrote:Thanks Harriet. I implemented both of your suggestions. Miscellaneous. I forgot just how powerful that word is!
No problem, after more than 25 years as a tech writer I finally get to use my so called expertise on something fun!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great job man!

Indeed, the lighting article is priceless! Thanks to you and Ian for consolidating all the info.
iann

Post by iann »

Some good pictures of HID and LED lighting would be good, but I don't have any.

And I never knew before that there was a Hypertufa article :)
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

More Good stuff Daiv, thanks! :)

2 standard 48" 40 watt lampsImage

Dont know if this will be helpful, but this is what 4, 110 watt vho reef aquarium lamps look like. 2 actinic (blue) and 2 daylight spectrum.
I tried them for seedlings, most of them were stressed by the intensity. I wonder what would have happened if I would have turned the three 175 watt 10,000 k, metal halide's on too? POOF!
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ian, that Hypertufa article is the same exact one Andy posted within the forum. We just made it easier to get to this way.

Thanks Tony for the pics. And I must say, I didn't do very much at all on the light article. Pretty much just dug out the text and posted it. Ian really did all the work!