Ariocarpus retusus x trigonus

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
taliesin

Ariocarpus retusus x trigonus

Post by taliesin »

I know this sort of cacti is not for the beginner...3 years experiece, but I have gone and bought myself 10, ready to prick out seedlings....I know, call me a twit! :roll:

I wish to know, oh great knowledgable ones (grovel), how to go about the best way to being successfull in growing these to maturity. There is plenty of advice for growing mature ones, but i cant seem to find much about seedlings....are they that difficult?
cheers and thank you in advance :D
someone pass me the tweezers!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Taliesin, let's put it another way, they are not easy. The most common mistake is usually to overwater them. Because they are so slow growing enthusiasts have a tendency to try to help them along: more water, more fertiliser, more sun etc. This is probably the worst thing you can do.

Water in moderation, they will probably have very little root formation at the moment and can soon become water-logged. Good light is essential but very strong sun (if we ever get any) will quickly shrivel them.

Having said all that, they are well worth trying. As an old cactus friend of mine used to say, choice cacti only take up the same amount of room as common ones. Price however, is a different matter.

John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Go for it!!! you don't become accomplished at growing things like these until you have a go, and learn from any mistakes you may make. John's advice is sound, (I just wish I'd had someone to ask when I first tried growing them, maybe I wouldn't have killed so many)

Best of luck! CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.