seed pod harvest time frame

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Bill in SC

seed pod harvest time frame

Post by Bill in SC »

I know this has been discussed before, but I forgot the answer. I guess it would also depend upon the genus, and possibly even the species within the genus. I have about 30 pure Notocactus uebelmannianus seed pods. How do I know when they are ripe? I don't want to pull them prematurely, and by the same token, I don't want to wait too long. I also have numerous crossed up Gymnocalycium seed pods. How can you tell when Gymno pods are ripe? I remember last year I had some seed pods I didn't know about the time frame. They finally ruptured and the wind blew the seeds to kingdom come.. i don't want this to happen again this year.. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated..
Bill in SC
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Bill, as a rule that I use, I pull my pods just when they start to become dry, the pods wont have any soft/flesh to them, but there not "hard", then I cut them open or toss them in a blender. For me I've always had better germ rates with fresh seeds that dried ones. Usally a ripe pod will be able to fall off the host with a easy twish, some Notos will take a slight tug to pop them off.. The best way to make sure is pop one pod off cut it open and see if the seeds are black and plump.. if so rip the rest off and toss em in a growing media :wink:
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I harvested all the Notocactus uebelmannianus pods.. They were FULL of black seeds.. I harvested another Noto X cross, but the seeds were brown and immature. I forgot I just pollinted it a few days ago.. :-(
Bill in SC
Ken1983

Post by Ken1983 »

I remember i plug the pods out when it starts to turn yellowish or losing its red.

Hmm, do you intend to sell those seeds? :)
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I forgot I just pollinted it a few days ago.
LOL... yeah I forgot to mention to let nature take its course... get yourself a catalog,, start recording dates/months/conditions for harvesting, here in our heat Noto's take around 15 days or so to germ
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

if i can't pull the fruit off with very gentle force i usually leave them on the plant
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

faslimy wrote:if i can't pull the fruit off with very gentle force i usually leave them on the plant
That has been my experience too and I have been quite successful getting seeds to germinate. My problem is once they are happy little seedlings, I kill them off. :idea:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Ken, hit me with a PM and I will send you some.. Probably send fine in an envelope. I need to extract them from the pods and let them dry good first though..
Bill in SC