About the Member Blogs Section

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
daiv
Site Admin

About the Member Blogs Section

Post by daiv »

This section is reserved for members to post their ongoing blog threads. These are typically annual threads, but not strictly so.

Anyone can start a blog of their own, and post updates and discussions of their collections.

If you are unsure what to post, please review the existing threads in this category to get an idea.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
hob

Post by hob »

ooooppps whatever did i start with hobs topics :shock: :shock: all those years ago :?

watch this space for hobs topic 2010 :P
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

The modern term for this would probably be blog :roll: :lol:
/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Announcement Update!

Hi all, I wanted to post a word here that many of us have probably been thinking. I very much enjoy looking through the various Member Topics here. However, I often don't have a specific comment and there are only so many times that I can post "Great plants!" or "Nice flowers!" without sounding really redundant.

So I would encourage all to keep updating your topics and please don't feel badly about the amount of comments added.

Please feel free to reply in this thread with your own feedback on this subject.

...off to browse more member topics! :D
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I can really relate to that, I often have no other comment than 'beautiful/lovely flowers', just because that's my opinion at that moment and I have nothing more to say about that. this may come across as repetitive.
in my own topic I have also noticed that often there aren't that many reactions, but quite some views. I think that's what matters most.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote: I often don't have a specific comment and there are only so many times that I can post "Great plants!" or "Nice flowers!" without sounding really redundant.
i know that feeling :lol: then i wonder if people are not saying anything in my topic because i don't say anything in theirs :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Christer Johansson

I think it's the "FaceBook" things that makes it this way :roll:
"Everyone wants attention!!" :lol:
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It would be nice to have a "like" button on the topic replies. It would give us a way to give feedback without feeling redundant, and since everyone does like attention, we could still get the warm fuzzies we need to keep posting.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I hear you. One thing that helps is that those of us with Member Topics are those who have a good feel for things on the forum.

So my reason for starting this discussion is more or less to say that I give a "like" to every post even if I don't comment on it specifically.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

i know that feeling then i wonder if people are not saying anything in my topic because i don't say anything in theirs
This. Hit it right on the head!

I have found over the years here that just when you think no one is looking at your stuff...everybody is!
Christer Johansson

I can give you this; I'm not a fan of "like forums" :|
peterb

Post by peterb »

I love having the plants speak for themselves. I like to post thumbs up comments like "beautifully grown!" or whatever because raising cacti can be a lonely hobby! :-)

The members topics section is fantastic as is, no change needed, IMO.

peterb
Zone 9
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I would probably click 'like' by default just because I'd have the feeling it wouldn't be friendly if I didn't. I agree with peter, I like it the way it is.
but I do think it's a good thing this is being addressed.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hi, I personally don´t like the like stuff either mainly because it will be so easy to post so that it´s substance (to express recognition or respect ) will fade away soon.
But its good to be reminded to write down just a couple of words, right after reading an interesting post (which I often forgot to do these days)...
Christer Johansson

Jens wrote:Hi, I personally don´t like the like stuff either mainly because it will be so easy to post so that it´s substance (to express recognition or respect ) will fade away soon.
But its good to be reminded to write down just a couple of words, right after reading an interesting post (which I often forgot to do these days)...
Yes, the "real" comments drown in all "like"-comments, IMO :roll: