Mammillaria from Daiv

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
daiv
Site Admin

Mammillaria from Daiv

Post by daiv »

OK, so I don't post unknowns too often, but here is a Mamm that I had listed as M. marksiana. I guess it could be that. Can anyone confirm or deny this id?

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

Thats not marksiana, spines are too long. I will keep looking though.
someone pass me the tweezers!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Daiv,
I agree the spines are long for marksiana. Looks similar to my nivosa, tho flowers seem off. Another maybe is canelenis, though that is supposed to have thin white radials and I didn't see any. But some flowers on the mamm site look similar. It can be variable , I know there is a pic in Pilbeam of one of Woody's called auriacentra?? that looks very different from what he says is classic canelensis. Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks. Sounds like it stumps you too at least for now. This is a very old plant. A friend of mine had it struggling to survive on a windowsill in Minnesota for years. Finally, when I was visiting, he said, you take it, it will be happier with you. It has doubled in size since and put off the offset. Definately happier outside in So. CA than cold/damp MN.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Well it's got me stumped to daiv, I have to also agree that it's not marksiana, marksiana usually has light green epidermis, yelloe spine as well as yellow flowers.
Here's my marksiana.

I don't think nivosa is an option either, ...young spines yellow, later brown, yellowish flower and don't figet the copious wool in the areoles.
when I looked at you pic, canelensis (whose spination and flowers are quite variable), and bocensis were two that immediately came to mind, but your plant doesn't quite fit these either, so I'm a bit stumped too.
I've been through the pics an mammillarias.net but didn't fina a match. Of course a hybrid is not out of the realm of possibility.

Just for comparison here's my canelensis...

Sorry no joy either. CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Daiv, I'll post the picture on one of the Dutch fora I'm on.
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

Hi Daiv

Mammillaria petrophila could be a candidate,brown spines and yelow flower
gunhat

Post by gunhat »

I see that cactuspolecat suggests canelensis. Pictures at mammillarias.net shows that this is a variable plant. May be this form is close to Daiv's plant:

http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/vie ... elensis_10