Neko's Collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Neko Bazu

Neko's Collection

Post by Neko Bazu »

Well, "collection" is perhaps a generous term when compared to others on here... But I'm at least hopeful of having something more interesting to post later in the year, so why not set a starting mark? :)

(Larger image here)

Reading left-to-right...

Back: C. strausii x denmoza, O. macrocentra, E. viereckii ssp. morricalii
Middle: R. fiebrigii, A. capricorne, G. monvillei ssp. horridispinum, M. Lauii
Front: R. fiebrigii (accidental offset of the other!), T. hexaedrophorus (ssp. lloydii?)

Some are a little battle-worn, some are a bit etiolated, and some definitely want moving to smaller pots when I'm not having to settle for the first thing that comes to hand, but I love 'em all anyway :D
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
hafezzahruddin

Post by hafezzahruddin »

That astro is a beauty. I don't have any astro and thinking of starting buying them. But it's hard to get astro, especially neoastro in the local nursery here. Well, maybe tomorrow I'll make a trip to a bigger nursery to see whether they have astro or not.
-Fez
my cacti blog: http://glochid.blogspot.com/
"Oooh! Oooh! Gimme' that cactus!"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This is a great idea. It will be fun to look back at this a year later and see how your plants and collection have grown.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

daiv wrote:This is a great idea. It will be fun to look back at this a year later and see how your plants and collection have grown.
I've got high hopes for a few of them this year; the senior rebutia and E. viereckii already have pups on them, and the rebutia also bloomed last year, so hopefully there'll be a repeat performance!

I've got the added bonus of having a year's experience - and a year's mistakes! - under my belt this time around, so hopefully (literally? :lol:) my efforts can bear fruit.

TimN

Post by TimN »

And your collection is expanding all by itself with accidental offsets. I have often found what looks like tragedy can often have wonderful results. The exception of course is when the plant dies completely, that's tragic!

I used to have rodent problems and they chewed the heck out of a few plants. Some of those plants are now making nice clusters much sooner than if they hadn't been eaten.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

TimN wrote:And your collection is expanding all by itself with accidental offsets. I have often found what looks like tragedy can often have wonderful results. The exception of course is when the plant dies completely, that's tragic!

I used to have rodent problems and they chewed the heck out of a few plants. Some of those plants are now making nice clusters much sooner than if they hadn't been eaten.
Alas, during the incident that caused that offset, I lost a plant too, so I can appreciate exactly what you mean! The new plant tempered the loss somewhat though, so it wasn't a complete tragedy :)

Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

Got some new members in the family :)

And some close-ups...

Ferocactus latispinus

Stenocactus multicostatus ssp. lloydii

Cleistocactus icosagonus (Replacing the one I lost this autumn :cry:)

Thelocactus bicolor (var. mapimensis?) - ordered one, and got twins! :D

Was dead impressed by the roots on one of those last two too! (Pre-cleaning, naturally :wink:)

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Those are some nice additions. Where did you get them? With plants that nice, you might as well plug the source, right? :D
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

daiv wrote:Those are some nice additions. Where did you get them? With plants that nice, you might as well plug the source, right? :D
The Cleisto and the two Thelos came from http://www.easycactus.co.uk and the Fero and Steno both came from http://www.cactusshop.co.uk - I must admit, the Fero was bigger than I expected for £3.50! :)

Every plant in my collection to date (with the exception of the Rebutia offset) has come from those two sources, having not had the time/money to go to shows etc; I haven't been let down even once so far though~ :D

iann

Post by iann »

Thelocactus bicolor var mapimensis isn't a real name. I know there is one on the guide here but I'm 99% sure the name has never been published. I think it showed up in an old Koehres catalogue but I don't know anything more about it. No description means no way of ever telling if you have one.

They look like T. bicolor, probably var bicolor, hard to be positive at this stage.
--ian
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

iann wrote:Thelocactus bicolor var mapimensis isn't a real name. I know there is one on the guide here but I'm 99% sure the name has never been published. I think it showed up in an old Koehres catalogue but I don't know anything more about it. No description means no way of ever telling if you have one.

They look like T. bicolor, probably var bicolor, hard to be positive at this stage.
I was a bit unsure about the name, so I'm glad to see an alternative ID! I'll just leave them as T. Bicolor for now, and see what comes of them :) Thanks for the pointer!

Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

One more batch! :D

Left to right...

Back row: Eriosyce villosa, Matucana polzii, Rebutia jujuyana (freebie! :mrgreen:)
Front row: Rebutia miniscula, Echinocereus viridiflorus ssp. viridiflorus, Parodia schwebsiana

In addition to those, I've also potted up the little guy mentioned in this thread - no idea how healthy he may or may not be, but I'm gonna see if he feels like growing a bit. The curiosity's gnawing at me!

That's the smallest pot I had - 2"!

Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

That's a pretty tiny plant!
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

Saguaro123 wrote:That's a pretty tiny plant!
I know - I nearly missed it altogether, and I guess the nursery did too!

By 'normal' plant standards, I'd think it was pretty unhealthy - it looks pretty dry and shrivelled. It is a cactus, though, so who knows? Maybe there's a chance for it :)

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

More new ones? The more you have the more often you're going to have flowers too! :toothy4: