Agave rust?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
capheind

Agave rust?

Post by capheind »

I have a rather large agave with rust like stripes along the leaves. They look like some kinda infection and the surrounding tissue is deformed. Is there anything I can do?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Are you sure you haev an agave? It sounds a lot like the beginning of aloe mite. Is the plant in the ground? I've had luck with some insect damage by drenching with a strong bug killer. Can you post a picture?
Buck Hemenway
capheind

Post by capheind »

Well here is the plant itself (the pot is about a foot and a half):

And here are some close-ups of affected areas:

If its an aloe its very different from the aloes I've known. I am thinking of just removing the leaves that are affected but considering how slow growing this plant is I'd like to know first if it would actually work.
The law of man
"If it ain't broke
You ain't fixed it enough."
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi, it is certainly an Agave, Agave americana. The marks look like some kind of water damage. if the plant receives water from the top (which it obviously does) it could be getting into the centre of the plant where the leaves are tightly furled up. Or alternatively it the sun comes out when there is water on the plant they could be scorch marks.

The plant looks very healthy and so does the leaves, although they are marked. Personally I would leave them on, but if you think they look unsightly start to take them off gradually, certainly not all at once.

John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
capheind

Post by capheind »

Great. No disease. It is in the path of my sprinklers but they don't go that high and the go off at night. i think its probably from my occasional mid-morning soaking when it looks completely dry. From now on I'll just do it later in the day.
The law of man
"If it ain't broke
You ain't fixed it enough."
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Hi,

I think it might be the 104 degree heat we had about three weeks ago. As tough as they are, agaves are prone to damage when subjected to large temperature variations. I suspect that like the LA basin, you went from temps in the mid 70's to over 100 for 3 days and then back down. Looks like that kind of damage to me. Also note the affected leaves are the ones facing the sun.

Doesn't look like disease.
Buck Hemenway