Contest 40: Discussion and Related pics

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Man! No kidding you guys! So hard to chose! Great bunch of photos by all.

Speaking of looking at things differently, I didn't even have a picture to include as I apparently don't take pictures of wet cactus! That will change now.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I used the point system and the picture I liked the most won. Sweet :lol:
--ian
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I liked Jordi's othonna best of all.
Buck Hemenway
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

What is that? 2612 members and only 32 votes? :o :(

Jordi
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

CactusJordi wrote:What is that? 2612 members and only 32 votes? :o :(

Jordi
This subject comes up every so often. The 2612 members are not all active. That is how many people have registered since the forum started 6 years ago. Of the 2612, 703 have never made a single post. 361 have posted only two times - usually with a question followed by a "thank you". So that narrows the list down to 1098 users with 3 or more posts. Still sounds like there should be a lot more votes, but then checking the "Last Login Date" reveals that only 120 users have logged in to the forum since the voting started for this contest.

And so our voter turnout is actually 32 out of 120 - a little over 1/4 of the current active users have voted.

Not sure why there aren't more. It would be nice if we at least had 50% of the active users voting, but at least it is better than only 32 out of 2612.
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:
CactusJordi wrote:What is that? 2612 members and only 32 votes? :o :(

Jordi
This subject comes up every so often. The 2612 members are not all active. That is how many people have registered since the forum started 6 years ago. Of the 2612, 703 have never made a single post. 361 have posted only two times - usually with a question followed by a "thank you". So that narrows the list down to 1098 users with 3 or more posts. Still sounds like there should be a lot more votes, but then checking the "Last Login Date" reveals that only 120 users have logged in to the forum since the voting started for this contest.

And so our voter turnout is actually 32 out of 120 - a little over 1/4 of the current active users have voted.

Not sure why there aren't more. It would be nice if we at least had 50% of the active users voting, but at least it is better than only 32 out of 2612.
Interesting statistics!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Diamondman

opinion

Post by Diamondman »

very nice pictures! i love ferocacti! there like a big ball of fishhooks! =D>
Cacti Rule!
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Regarding the number of votes, one has to know where to go to find the contest and voting page. If there were an "ad" or a link on the home page"Vote in this month's photo contest" or some such, it may help pull people in. Daiv, just a suggestion.

I suspect many people who come in use the home page and the search and the photos of genera and don't even know there is a photo contest...

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Shmuel wrote: I suspect many people who come in use the home page and the search and the photos of genera and don't even know there is a photo contest...
There are vastly more people that visit the site than are registered on the forum. More people in one day than have ever registered over all time actually!

There is a link on the home page about the contests on the home page. I admit it is the second to last thing on the page, but I think those who would participate in the contests would be at least interested to scan the home page contest. I think most people are searching for a quick and specific thing on the site - usually an ID.

I have promoted the contest in the General section before both for entries and for votes. That didn't seem to have much effect.

We have promoted the contests in the past via mass e-mail, but people don't like to get e-mails like that. At least it always generates a number of "take me off the list" replies.

So I think it comes down to "differnt strokes for different folks".

I will say that Darryl's schedule seems to be increasing participation. The conistent timing and advance topic announcement seems to help less frequent posters to get in on the action.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I just reviewed the past contests. It looks like when the e-mails went out we had between 40 and 54 people voting.

Perhaps we should start e-mailing again? :dontknow:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

By the way, is it 3/3/2010 for every time zone by now? If so, it is time to hoist Harald to our shoulders and laud him the victor!
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

You just can't remember all of the pictures that you take. Here's one that should have been my entry. Enjoy

Cereus sp.

Buck Hemenway
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

:oops: I am officially wrong - duh - I should have looked at the home page before commenting on it.
Sorry, Daiv.

Shmuel

PS I would not mind getting an email about the contest. I certainly appreciate the emails about topics I have posted in - it is the only way I can keep up with them.
Amazing cacti!
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Bruno,

I really like your photo of Mammillaria napina. A very nice looking plant, but I could not find that name even as a synonym. Could there be an alternative name for the plant?

Shmuel
Amazing cacti!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well gang, I sent the e-mail this time. But since I haven't done it for a while, I screwed it up. I was supposed to have included an "Opt out" text at the bottom as well as a message that the contest is sponsored by Corona Cactus... :?

Since that info is the same every time, it is in a seperate piece that gets attached.

Anyway, I hope that I don't get too many angry people for sending them an e-mail.