Just sharing...

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
fanaticactus

Just sharing...

Post by fanaticactus »

Just for the fun of it, I thought I'd share some older photos I have on file.

#1 - My cat strongly identifies with cacti...

#2 - The ONE TIME in probably 30 years my Epi bloomed!

#3 - This approximately 25-yr.-old Hoya blooms almost constantly with just a short rest period between putting out 6-10 flowers at a time. This was one of the showiest, fullest blossoms ever.

Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Give that Epi strong sun and it will bloom! If the stems look green and healthy - no flowers. If the stems are all sickly yellow and ugly - flowers galore!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

That Hoya really puts on a show! :shock:
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

wow that hoya is really fantastic. i have one but has never bloomed.thanks for sharing.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Good stuff! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Wow! Those Epi flowers are stunning! :shock: Does your cat mess with the cacti? My cats likes to knock mine over every now and again. :x Now that I think about it, anybody want to adopt two cats? :wink:
Jim
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

diamondstate wrote:Wow! Those Epi flowers are stunning! :shock: Does your cat mess with the cacti? My cats likes to knock mine over every now and again. :x Now that I think about it, anybody want to adopt two cats? :wink:
Jim
Actually, there are THREE cats in the house & they travel to VT for the spring, summer & fall too! And, yes, they all have been known to chew on the Epi stems & all the Zygos I have [-X . So those plants have to be put out of reach. I was careful to read up on which plants are toxic to cats, so I don't have any of those. As for trying to chew the spiny ones :shock: , they MAY have tried ONCE :confused2: but being stuck in the nose tells them to not try it again! Once in a great while, they'll knock over a pot, but I've somehow made them understand they have to be careful. Actually, I think it's just that I scare them when I yell at them, so they don't want to give me an excuse!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

daiv wrote:Give that Epi strong sun and it will bloom! If the stems look green and healthy - no flowers. If the stems are all sickly yellow and ugly - flowers galore!
Does this really work, Daiv? I've been so careful to protect all my Epis from strong summer sun because all the info I've seen reminds us "They are jungle cacti and, therefore, don't do well in full sun." --or words to that effect. If I see yellow stems, I think I've done something wrong and they're dying. What about even the very young ones just a year old?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Absolutely! Of course, you don't want to move it to strong sun too fast and fry it, but work it into strong sun and you'll get blooms.

Take a look at this E. hookeri plant:

Here you can see the whole plant.

The stem on the left produced no flowers, but look how nice it looks. (pic slightly blurry)

Now a close up of the stem that did flower:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I meant to add that the pot size, watering, plant maturity, etc. play a role in blooming too, but as you can see above, sun exposure has the biggest effect as all other things were equal for the two stems above.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Wow! Thanks for this encouragement. Gotta try it starting in Spring!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sure. If you are worried about the overall health of your plant. You can use some shade cloth over half of it and see how it goes rather than start torturing the whole thing.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

cactuslee wrote:wow that hoya is really fantastic. i have one but has never bloomed.thanks for sharing.
Well, cactuslee, all I can say is neglect it until the leaves get all wrinkled. Then say to it, 'Omigosh! I'm sorry I forgot about you.' and soak it with tepid water & spritz the whole plant. Maybe a week later give it more water--this time with a fertilizer; I like Schultz's liquid. Once in a while I treat it to a liquid cactus-type fertilizer (low or zero nitrogen, but a high middle number (phosphorus). It doesn't need (or even like) a lot of sun; where mine is indoors it gets a glancing blow of morning sun. In warmer weather I hang it under the porch roof on the southeast side of the house. It's not fussy about soil, either. In fact, the dirt in the pot now looks totally used up of all nutrients. I usually fuss over plants (not just succulents) & end up doing more harm, I'm afraid. Maybe a little neglect will give your Hoya the kick in the rear it needs! Meanwhile, mine is putting out a few more sprays of flowers. Perhaps I'll post a photo or two when it's looking good. Good Luck!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Great pics, but WOW!! :shock: :shock: that Hoya is STUNNING!! :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hmm its funny how our cats love to play with our cactus and knock them over. My cat likes to knock over my small saguaro that sits on the window sill. Silly cat. My first cactus that I got when I was little and lived in PA was killed by my cat after he knocked it over a bunch of times. I think I also probably watered it too much, but then again, I only watered it about once every few weeks.
(BTW it was a mammillaria of some sort or another, I dont know which)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.