what shall i do next

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cactusveda

what shall i do next

Post by cactusveda »

this is the cacti babies recently hatched! what will be the next stage? when will it grow? how often shall i water? how long should they be in a humid container? a watchfull expectancy?Image
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Seedlings can be tricky and require lots of attention. They need to be kept in the humidity box for a good while, and not in direct sunlight. That soil you have them in looks kinda funky. Looks hard and clay like. Just keep them moist, but not to the extent of rotting. Open your humidity box to breath daily and then close it back up. I'm sure others can add to this..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I can add that I've yet to get it right myself. I struggle with seeds once they get to that stage. I think my biggest problem is consistency from not paying attention. I either let the soil dry out or leave the cover off in the rain and they drown. Unlike larger plants, the seedlings can die from this neglect in a matter of hours.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Amen Daiv!!
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

That is true what daiv says.
Unlike larger plants, the seedlings can die from this neglect in a matter of hours.
I have lost some suguaro seedlings becasue they dried out.

Mark[/quote]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Cactusveda,

Good job mate :-)

I kept mine warm until most of the seeds had germinated then I put them on a bright windowsill (out of direct sunlight and still covered). At this point they looked like yours.

I then fitted the lids of my containers loosely so they would get more air and I kept the soil moist. (it does dry out now and then on warmer days but they are fine)

I haven't lost any yet!!

Keep them in that container until they begin to look a bit more like a cactus :-)

Watch this space and I'll photograph mine tonight.

- Wayne
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I agree with Bill about the soil. I use at least 50 % of sand mixed with the potting soil. But it's great to get the babies no matter what. Congratulations !
Dominique
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

I've now done more than a hundred species from the CSSA, and I have a basic formula.
This is just basic, and will vary tremendously.

Grow in covered terrarium until first spines show. Keep soil very moist, with very high humidity.

Put outside in full sun after you see spines, but in some sort of greenhouse.

Water once every two days till they are about 1/4 inch (2-4cm). Then water twice per week in hot weather.

Remember, this will vary hugely depending on circumstances. And there are a hundred equally valid ways of doing this.