Growing from Seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
ihc6480

Growing from Seeds

Post by ihc6480 »

I've been doing a little studying about growing cacti from seeds (propragating). But I have gotten confused in my studying due to conflicting information I've read on the net.
Here's what I want to do: My Opuntia still have tuna (seed pods) on them from last year. Upon examining a pod there is around a dozen BB size seeds in them.
Even though my Opuntia spread and grow rather fast I'm still curious to see if I can get them to grow from seeds.
I consider members of this board to be my best bet for assisstance. Come on guys and gals-- lay the info or opinions on me :)

Bill
templegatejohn

Opuntia seeds

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill,

There are probably people better qualified than me on Opuntias but I'll start the ball rolling for you:

Growing from seed is basically the same for all cacti: Make sure the seed has set properly, i.e. don't take them off the plant too soon; make sure your compost is sterile; and make sure the seeds get some light, but not bright sunshine (many seeds of garden plants need to be in the dark, but not cacti). The compost needs to be moist at all times during germination and a temperature of at least 70f. needs to be achieved. Below that temp. they will not germinate or at best be very erratic.

The way that Opuntia seed differs is that it is a large seed and usually needs to be scarified in some way, i.e. the seed coating chipped with a sharp knife or even rubbed with a small file etc. as is sometimes done with sweet pea seeds. This allows the embryo to take up water. If you do not want to risk this, the seeds will just take longer to germinate. Most cacti seed are sown on the surface but Opuntia should be buried to about their own depth in the compost.

To achieve germination some people use the Fleischer method. Compost is put in the bottom of a preserve jar and boiling water is poured on to it. Enough to wet the compost. When it has cooled the seeds are sown into the compost and the lid screwed on. This maintains a moist atmosphere for the seeds. When the seeds have germinated the lid is unscrewed and a gap left to allow air to circulate for a short time each day. As the seedlings develop the lid is lifted more regularly until it can be removed altogether, when the seedling are making good progress.

When the seedlings are big enough the compost can be carefully tipped out of the jar and the seedlings transplanted.

Opuntias sometimes take weeks or even months to germinate (if you do not scarify them), so don't give up on them.

Hope this helps.

John
kari

Post by kari »

Bill,
I recently bought a packet from WalMart and has finally had some success! There were several Opuntia seeds among others. Unfortunately, I did not mark which were which (all together now, "IDIOT!" :oops: ) but several have come up. I'll lay-out my method soon.

Basically, though, one of those seed planters also bought a Wallies.

kari
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Thanks for the replies John and Kari.

I'll have to give it a try. After all, all it takes is time :wink:

Basically, though, one of those seed planters also bought a Wallies.
:shock: Hum, I guess wallie world does really sell everything :lol: