What is the beauties name?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
dreese

What is the beauties name?

Post by dreese »

Hello from a newbie.
I purchased this pair last fall and placed them in a berm where they spent the winter. They were largely unprotected during a cold winter for No. TX(zone 7B) with many nights in the 20's. I was rewarded for this non-attention by beautiful flowering growth this early spring. Unless someone discourages me I will attempt to remove several pups(?) to grow new plants. Hopefully you'll be able to access the link below. Thanks for any and all advice!
Best wishes,
Dennis
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vinl4evr@ ... /my_photos
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Dennis and Welcome!

Very nice Echinocereus there.

I am not positive on the ID, perhaps E. triglochidiatus or E. enneacanthus or even a hybrid.

Do you know where the plant came from? I mean if it was from a store, where they got it from? If we could pinpoint the origin, that would narrow down the ID rather quickly unless someone else has got Echinocerei pegged?

As for removing pups, I say go for it, but be careful. I've had varied luck on Echinocereus. They seem a bit touchy. If you could establish them in pots first and later transplant them, you might be better off.

Daiv
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

If anyone is going to have the ID on-line, it will be these guys:

http://www.echinocereus.de/
kari

Post by kari »

Welcome!
What you have is a variety of Echinocereus triglochidiatus, also known as claret cup. So, Daiv, you were half right! But then again, noting that E. enneacanthus has very long spines, and lots of 'em, I might have to take that praise away from you! 8)

DO NOT separate the pups! Plants of this species and its varieties form awesome clumps! That is, if you have ample room for a 6-feet-across, 3-feet-high clump of 200 cacti! Awesome when in bloom! Removing them, however, will probably not harm the plant if you need to... but I'd ask the horticulturists on this list for that kind of info. I'm just a naturalist.

Due to the short spines, it looks like E. triglochidiatus var. gurneyi, which is widespread in the Chihuahuan Desert from the Big Bend and NE to Sanderson, Texas (Trans-Pecos region)up to White Sands area and Las Cruces, New Mexico. Snow is a good thing, as you have noticed, so if you plan to keep any inside, make sure they get a "winter".

As Daiv suggested, see if you can get the origin of them.

Beautiful!

kari
dreese

Thanks for all the information!

Post by dreese »

I purchased the cacti at Texas Palm Trees near the Dallas Farmer's Market. It is the only place in the area that I have found any selection of succulents at all. However, they don't have any identification on any of their plants. I'm just guessing they come from Southwest TX or Mexico. They had this pair inside with their tropical plants getting no sun at all. Could this explain why they looked so "puny"?
If the flower is any true indication of the plant's family tree, My untrained eyes found what appears to be an identical flower on the German website Daiv referenced as an E. pacificus ssp. mombergerianus.
Kari, I do have some room to let them spread and like your suggestion. I only wanted to save an offspring or two in case they didn't like their surroundings. Very few people on this earth live as close to a wilderness paradise as Kari. Visit Palo Duro Canyon, folks, if you ever get close to West Texas!
Thanks again!
Dennis