Constuction of a shelf...starting tom...

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Peterthecactusguy

Constuction of a shelf...starting tom...

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Well after having gotten a bunch more cacti, I need to build a shelf for them outside my house. I think I am going to use some block (8x4x16 block which is half the size of a normal 8x8x16 block everyone has seen before) and some old lumber that I have beating around that hopefully isnt full of termites or for that matter isnt warped beyond warped...(its from Lowes after all and is crappy wood, just like the equally crap wood from Home Depot)...

but I digress. I am going to use an eastern eave to allow some sun light but only for a short time in the morning. Hopefully it wont be too much sunlight, but who knows, I will find out shortly.

Pics will follow the build tomorrow.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Loph

Post by Loph »

sounds cool. remember to build each shelf tall, nto jsut for plant height but to let light in at teh back :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Peterthecactusguy

Loph I will. I am thinking of doing at least one shelf at around 4 bricks high and then maybe another one a little smaller in front so that it doesnt block out the sun for the others.

I checked and the stack will be around 3 or so feet tall something like that. WE shall find out tomorrow :) I will show pics of my project too :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I always use old junk scrap wood for cactus shelves. They are just going to get dirt and water poured all over them anyway. I figure there seems to be plenty of it around and if it doesn't last, it is easy enough to replace.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

yeah. I know thats why I am using the crap wood. I will build them probably tomorrow, I am too lazy to take 4 trips to bring the block over to my house and I dont think that I Can fit all of them in my car at once... If I did I would make my car a "low rider"

Tomorrow I will finish my project :) and upload the pics :)
iann

Post by iann »

It must be that time of year. I just put a new shelf up in the greenhouse. Just a plank of wood with brackets bolted into the slots in the frame, but its more space for plants.
--ian
Peterthecactusguy

Iann, I think it is. I am just not feeling that good today, dang allergies. Everything else is in bloom, minus all of my cacti..(except my new Mamm which is still blooming like crazy!!!)
Peterthecactusguy

Ok. Here are the promised pics.

Start of the projectImage

Half way done..

Star of the second tower...

All done

For those of you who are observant you will notice me and my dead rusty truck in the reflection in the window and also you will notice my baby saguaro that I got from a cactus farm in New River, AZ when I bought my Ironwood tree (or it might have been my mesquite trees I am not sure)
iann

Post by iann »

With space underneath for all the bags of gravel and soil that you're going to have soon ;)
--ian
Peterthecactusguy

Iann, yup. I sorta designed it like that by accident. However I wanted it to be high enough so I wouldnt have to bend over too low to work with the plants. :)
and yeah I need to make a trip to the store(s) soon to get my supplies :)