Does anybody know what species this monster is?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
stardude2012

Does anybody know what species this monster is?

Post by stardude2012 »

This cactus has a massive tree-like base with 100+ branches that are ~6-8" in diameter. As big as a house! There were quite a few of these down in the state of Puebla, Mexico, west of Tehuacan.

Photo here:
http://caya99.com/mexico04/pages/P1010038.htm
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Awesome habitat shot!!!!

That is Pachycereus weberi.

I have one pictured on the site, but it is much smaller, so you'd have a hard time identifying it from that pic.

If you have any more pictures from down there, feel free to post them!
kari

Post by kari »

To quote Mr. Spiccoli:
"WHOA! DUUUUUDE!"

ahem, uh, beauty, eh!

I hope I get to see stuff like that when I go to Mexico in August!
kari
stardude2012

Post by stardude2012 »

Thanks! I knew you guys would know. I will post some other shots when I figure out the in-message picture posting.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Stardude,
What would you think about me using that image on the site. I'm a sucker for habitat shots like that.

Now that I think of it, I'll bet Mavaz has some nice cacti growing nearby too? :wink:
sonia

Habitat shots

Post by sonia »

Daiv,

sxc.hu has a nice collection of cacti images (many of these images have no usage restrictions). One example is http://sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=9475 that pretty habitat shot.

Cheers,
Sonia (currently away)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Holy moly, those cacti have to be older than me :lol:

Nice pictures-- i like, i like 8)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sonia,
Ok here's where I get wierd. I originally intended on only using my own images on the site. I don't know for bragging rights or vanity or something. :roll:

But then I thought, well maybe I should be willing to add some other peoples photos in habitat only. Considering I can take pictures at nurseries and gardens, but it will take a while to get to all the different plants in habitat. (Of course if you all want to start a fund and give donations, I'll get started on photographing plants in habitat right away! :lol: )

Seriously, however, I am at the point where I don't want to just go out and find pics on the web, but use images from people I know or are members of the forum. I guess it's almost a "members only" type of thing.:?: Anyway, I guess that option is always open.

Daiv