Stapelia hirsuta

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Martin_Heigan

Stapelia hirsuta

Post by Martin_Heigan »

Good evening all,

Here is the first flower of a Stapelia hirsuta cutting (from Koppieskraal, Laingsburg, South Africa) that I got a few months ago. It is one of a few plants that decided to flower in the middle of winter this year. For some reason I have noticed that cuttings that are given, tend to be happier and flower more often and sooner. It makes one think...

Martin
________
GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD
Last edited by Martin_Heigan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Martin,

So what is it? The plants just like it better at your house? Could be. You'll make them a Star.

What is your feeling about the flowering of the stapeliads? They seem to be pretty moody about how many and where they put on blooms. Is there some rule of thumb such as they only put on bloom on new growth, second year growth, old growth, or has it even been studied (I would suppose so).
Buck Hemenway
Martin_Heigan

Post by Martin_Heigan »

Hi Buck,

The flowers don't just form on new growth, but it is safe to say that new growth carries a larger percentage of flowers. The only thing that really seems to make a difference with the frequency of flowering, is heat and sunlight. The Stapeliads in my greenhouse that are exposed to more direct sunlight, definitely flower more. Lastly, I guess they are in their natural habitat here in SA, so it might cause them to be happier with the climate conditions.

Cheers

Martin
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
Last edited by Martin_Heigan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Martin, beautiful picture as usual. makes it all the more poignant as I have just lost my hirsuta in the spring this year.

John
Martin_Heigan

Post by Martin_Heigan »

Hi John,

Sorry to hear. It always sucks when one loses a plant. I try and split my larger plants and put them in different places as far as possible to ensure that I never lose a complete plant.

Martin
________
Herbalaire vaporizer
Last edited by Martin_Heigan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Excellent shot as usual Martin, not seen in these parts though.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Martin, I had to laugh when I read your answering post to the one where I said I lost my hirsuta. You replied by saying you tend to split yours so you never lose a complete plant.

I just wish I had the opportunity mate. Mine normally put so little growth on they may as well be carved out of wood or petrified stone. Sometimes I feel like having a sign made to put on the greenhouse door.

Asclepidaceae Graveyard :-({|=

But I like the darn things so I continue to slowly kill them in large numbers. Perhaps I am doing myself down a little too much. I have had my moments, mostly with Huernia's. It's difficult to decide whether it's me they don't like, or my growing conditions. Ah well, I can always admire your photographs.

John
Martin_Heigan

Post by Martin_Heigan »

Don't worry, I can totally relate. I have lost some pretty rare plants. Some cuttings just never make it! My emotions range from :D to :( when it comes to Asclepiads...

Martin
________
Swed
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

There is something about going about proving that we are at least as smart as our plants. After all, given the right conditions, they just grow. Here we are with all of our "knowledge" and can't keep them alive.

Much to my wife's disgust (she can't stand to see the little guys die), I purchased a flat of Hoodia gordonii yesterday and am determined to figure out how to keep them alive. Pretty expensive experiment, but the two mature plants that we've had didn't last a winter.

We've gotten better with huernias and stapelias, so I'm hoping I can figure these guys out.
Buck Hemenway
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Incredible pictures - congratulation!

By the way, I do like you internet site with all these lovely pics. They helped me identify my Stapelia leendertziae. (It only needs hours for me to download...)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

nice pics! stapeliads seem to be doing well in my greenhouse here in India.i have seen them flowering as soon as they get good amount of water and a shade in summer but they dont tolerate much water in shade in cloudy season so i adjust accordingly. cutting has almost 60% loss rate so what i do is i seperate plant into multiple on root specimen and plant them few in pots and few in open. that has worked.