identification of mammoth,dangerous,cactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
pete

identification of mammoth,dangerous,cactus

Post by pete »

five years ago I took a cactus from a three gallon cotainer and planted it in the ground in the middle of my most Southern facing wall,with plans for a future cactus garden in mind.I live in Florida so to say it thrives there would be an understatement.As of today,this cactus is 6 feet tall,over 15 feet around,and is dangerous as h*ll.I now suffer from a skin disease called " lichen planus ", a skin disorder causing blisters,sores,etc., dating back five years ago when the darn thing attacked me while planting it. In pictures it resembles O. littoralis aciculata,a.k.a. Coastal Prickly Pear,Sprawling Prickly Pear.It has a flattened/padded body to it apprx. 8"-10" long pads with large needles and small bunches of hairlike yellow needles all over the pad. Also has purple and sometimes yellow blooms around perimeter of pads. Is this cactus toxic or poison in ANY way ! I've seen four dermatologists over the years and they can't confirm if the cactus is playing a role in this or not. However they say there is no curefor the outbreak of sores. HELP, I'm loosing mind and skin. Help me to identify this please. Also, any sugesstions on how to remove this thing short of a flame thrower ? I'm listening... thanks
kari

Post by kari »

A) Send us a photo of the beast;

B) "Glochids" are the minute spines on prickly pears. They are barbed and can become imbedded under the skin if not removed properly (think tick). If they are not removed they can dig deeper and cause infections. Usually one doesn't notice them until later when something might brush up against one and it stings a little. They can be removed easily with tape (duct tape, scotch tape, etc., even Elmer's glue allowed to dry and peel off) if still at the surface (for future reference).

Anyway, I seriously doubt this is the cause of your problem, but ya never know! You would have had to touch the plant with the areas that are now troubling you. I have been "infested" with glochids many many times and have never had a reaction like you are describing.

And no: no poisons.

Tell this to your doctor to see what he thinks.

Good Luck!
kari
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Kari is right, Cacti spines are no worse than a tiny splinter from a rough pine board. No chemicals whatsoever.

I get glochids stuck in me every weekend from my O. microdaysis with no adverse effects. I also attend the Orange County Cactus and Succulent Society meetings every month and never heard anyone have a problem with cacti and disease.

Hope this helps eliminate a variable and you can get to the root of the issue.

Daiv
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

My collection consists of Prickly Pears and Chollas. I have encounters with them all the time and have never had any effects like you describe so I also say your illness is not from the cactus.

You can send that mean cactus to me and I'll bury it in the ground where it won't bother you anymore if you think that will help though :)

Bill