Frank's blooming saison 2010

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

Todays blooms......

Echinocereus russanthus v. millerii HK370 San Angelo Area

and again Lophophora fricii f. nova VZD 020 Ejido La Sol

Best regards,
Frank
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Frank,
I moved your post over to the Member topics section as it fits right in.

That E. russanthus flowers looks very much like an E. viridiflorus. I tried to look it up on IPNI, but did not find any Echinocereus with a var. millerii. I also couldn't find the field number on Ralph Martin's site.

Is this a new find? Can you tell us more?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

The Coke County form of chloranthus/russanthus/viridiflorus (take your pic!) has been on Mesa Garden's seed list for a few years:

190.52-chloranthus v nova /17/ Coke Co., Tx., hairy seedlings 1.00

It was originally published as Echinocereus milleri in Echinocereenfreund by Blum, Kuenzler and Oldbach in 1999.

It is mentioned by Powell and Weedin in _Cacti of the Trans Pecos and Adjacent Areas_, and I seem to remember they say it has been combined as a synonym but not officially published yet. I can look when I get home.

One of the distinguishing features is how hairy the seedlings are, similar to russanthus neocapillus.

peterb
Zone 9
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

daiv wrote:Hi Frank,
I moved your post over to the Member topics section as it fits right in.
Thx Daiv for moving this thread, i thought the same, as i found the other members blooming pictures.
Sry, my mistake wiht opening this thread in the wrong section.

But now for your questions:
daiv wrote:That E. russanthus flowers looks very much like an E. viridiflorus. I tried to look it up on IPNI, but did not find any Echinocereus with a var. millerii. I also couldn't find the field number on Ralph Martin's site.

Is this a new find? Can you tell us more?
I got this plant from a trading in a german cacti forum, but i have no contact to this person meanwhile, so i can't ask her, where she gets this plant. But i found a picture from 2008 (when i got this plant) with her writing:

I searched about Google, and found this:
http://forum.tuinadvies.be/forum_topic. ... &tid=12985
It is an Netherland cacti forum, but i can't read enough Netherlands to catch all the writing. But:
HK means Horst Künzler and they write in the middle of this thread excatly about this plant:
Echinocereus Rusanthus var milleri
Veldnummer HK 0370_01
USA Texas San Angelo Area
The second site i found is a Hungary one mentioning var. milleri:
http://www.kaktuszgyujtok.hu/index.php? ... &noveny=61

I think, the difference between Ec. viridiflorus and Ec. russanthus is the size, my Ec. viridlorus are all much smaller than Ec. russanthus

EDIT: peterb was faster meanwhile :D

Best regards
Frank
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Very interesting information guys. Thanks for looking that up.

I used to think I had a fairly good understanding of Echinocereus, but I continue to encounter exceptions like this.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Anyway it's a beautiful form, I can see why growers and detail people see it as name worthy, somehow. I like the combination of fairly standard viridiflorus flowers with more russanthus/chloranthus like stems. This whole group of plants is a wonderful study in variation, no matter what taxonomy one uses. One could grow a huge collection just made up of all the different forms of viridiflorus/chloranthus/russanthus.

peterb
Zone 9
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

Again Echinocereus russanthus v. millerii HK370 San Angelo Area but with more opened flowers:

Best regards,
Frank
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Those are nice flowers. 8)
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

Hello again,

Echinocereus adustus from this week:

A lonesome Echinopsis oxygona/multiplex Hybrid from today:

The weather in Germany is odd, i hope we get some sunny days the next week(s), because of this:

(Echinopsis hybrid 'Gertrude')

Best regards,
Frank
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Frank,
those are some nice pictures you posted. Especially the last one picturing the Echinopsis hybrid "Gertrude" is amazing. There is a flower bud on every areole! Are you sure the cactus can handle all of these blossoms at once? That will be an enourmous drain on its resources. Some of my plants become substantially dehydrated, with their ribs becoming much more pronounced, if they only produce a couple of large-sized flowers.
Anyway, you will have to post a few images, when that plant is in full bloom.

Harald
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

hello frank,

first of all beautiful plants and flowers!
since I'm from the netherlands I might help a bit with that forum, which is belgian by the way.
I've read through it and there's a lot of confusion there about how that plant should be named. that's it basically.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

hegar wrote:Hello Frank,
those are some nice pictures you posted. Especially the last one picturing the Echinopsis hybrid "Gertrude" is amazing. There is a flower bud on every areole! Are you sure the cactus can handle all of these blossoms at once? That will be an enourmous drain on its resources. Some of my plants become substantially dehydrated, with their ribs becoming much more pronounced, if they only produce a couple of large-sized flowers.
Anyway, you will have to post a few images, when that plant is in full bloom.

Harald
@Harald

My worry is also that this plant does not take the many buds, therefore I fertilize it everytime i water. But I think, not all buds become to blossoms.
I will keep you informed. :wink:
StrUktO wrote:hello frank,

first of all beautiful plants and flowers!
since I'm from the netherlands I might help a bit with that forum, which is belgian by the way.
I've read through it and there's a lot of confusion there about how that plant should be named. that's it basically.
@Arjen

I am about the special problems informed between Belgians and Netherlanders :wink: , but for me as German it is heavy to distinguish whether it is a Dutch forum or a Flemish one, sorry !

In my opinion they belong together: EC viridiflorus, EC davisii and EC russanthus , and they only the respective var. of each other. But I am simply not a botanist, just an amateur collector. Thanks for the translation and declaration. :D

Best regards,
Frank
o_frank_o

Post by o_frank_o »

Hello again,

I hope I don't bore too much because much did not pass the last days. The weather is too wet and cool in Germany,
but at the end of this postthere is something new :D

Echinocereus adustus

Echinocereus russanthus v. millerii HK370 San Angelo Area

and the first bloom of my Echinocereus knippelianus

Best regards,
Frank
John C

Post by John C »

Nice Echinocereus flowers!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

fantastic flowers, keep em coming!

I actually like belgium and the flemish a lot, this was ment purely informational, however I live near the border..
the dutch in general aren't really opposed to the flemish, we sometimes make jokes about them being silly, which they of course do the same about us.

I don't know enough about this plant to share in the discussion, I can only add that it is a good thing it has a name. I am usually against all the lumping though, there's a lot of diversity which imo should rather be split.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)