sun too strong??

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Lee

sun too strong??

Post by Lee »

Last fall before winter I had to replace my corrugated fiberglass roofing with the new poly uv resistant with corrugated clear. I am beginning to notice scortching of some of the plants that are up high, although the mam's seem to love it. Ya think I will have to put shadding on the roof and at what level shading will I need. I live about 30 miles north of Baltimore MD. here are a few pic's of my greenhouse I usually put some paint on the front glass but never on the roof the greenhouse is a lean to and is facing due south, I do have a tree that does some shading but not in the summer months Image
Lee P
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You should not need shading at all except to acclimate some plants to the increased light. One possible option would be to move the plants into more hours of sun each couple of days until they are used to the full sun in their final spot.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

It's perfectly possible to scorch plants in England, even easier in Maryland. There's various ways round it. Temporary shading in spring while the plants get used to the sun. Permanent shading for some more sensitive plants. Better ventilation to keep things cooler. Or just put a wooden roof over the whole lot, I guarantee they won't scorch 8)
--ian