first cacti

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
midge_158

first cacti

Post by midge_158 »

Hello people this is my first time on here and I'v just bought 3 cacti for the first time (for £0.75!!!) and the lables said Gymnocalycium Baldianum and looking at the pics on the website and I agree could i have a second opinion please.... Thank You
http://www.pbase.com/midge_158/image/42497158
'Intelligence is so important' Edmund Blackadder
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi, for a beginner, you are already doing well on identification. That is definately not a Gymnocalycium. It's a little tough to tell because the pic is kind of blurry, but my guess is Mammillaria elongata. Take a look here and see what you think:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... s=elongata

Note: Some do not have the reddish spines and only straw colored spines like yours.
midge_158

Re:

Post by midge_158 »

Thanks for your help the latter of the options seams more sensible they do have red tips and the spines do star out and the cactus itself looks smoother not raised. Well here's another pic, which is better focused. If they are Mammillaria elongata how do i look after them if there from Mexico I presume they're desert cacti. My tallest one is 4cm is that normal and can you tell their age from the pics.

Many Thanks
Philip Ward

http://www.pbase.com/image/42504612

P.S. thanks for the complement!!!
templegatejohn

Plant ID

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Philip,

Your plants are definitely Mammillaria and Daiv is probably right in the fact that it is elongata. They are only "pups" at the moment and sometimes with young plants it is difficult to get a correct ID.

As far as looking after them particularly in England. They need the sunniest spot you can find and warmth too, a greenhouse is perfect, or a south facing window. Until the middle of May, when they should be in full growth, be very sparing with the water allowing the plants to dry out totally before watering again. In summer the plants can be watered more frequently, but they should still be allowed to dry out before watering again. A little dilute plant food once a month is sufficient for their needs.

From the middle of October to the middle of March they should not be watered at all UNLESS in a centrally heated room when a little can be given once a month. The plants need to be kept above 45f. through the winter.

Hope this helps,
John
midge_158

Post by midge_158 »

many thanks for your help