A greenhouse business?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
hippyman

A greenhouse business?

Post by hippyman »

This is a long term goal of mine, but eventually, I'd like to be able to run a native plants business from my backyard. Does anyone have any experience in this? Or at least know if there are any extra permits or anything required? I figure running one from my backyard, I could hopefully avoid high dollar permits.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I searched "texas plant nursery permits" on Google and got the texas Ag Department's website:

http://www.agr.state.tx.us/agr/program_ ... nelId=5649

doesn't seem very heavy duty. Looks much easier than California.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I didn't check the link Peter posted, but a few points from a California POV. We've had to go through alot of hoops and red tape, but starting out legit is by far the best approach.

If your current land plot is not zoned RA (residential agriculture) you'll have to get "creative" or it may not even be possible. Otherwise you'll need to get a plot of land zoned for agriculture.

If you are not zoned RA, forget about a retail type business by having ppl come to your house to buy plants or having any type of "delivery" to your house. This is a bit of a grey area. But if neighbors see trucks on a regular basis and complain, it won't go over well with the inspectors. Forget about obtaining a nursery license, and forget about being able to ship plants.

Without proper permits, zoning or licenses you would not be able to ship plants anywhere.

The size of the greenhouse (without permits) will be small.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Glad you mentioned the zoning, because if your property is zoned residental I do not believe you can have any type of business on your property that is noticeable from outside....ie If you are a doctor or a lawyer I think you would probably be ok if you did small amounts of work at home..(in other words you have a home office) or any other type of job where you can work out of your own home. With the green house/nursery situation I do not know if you could legally do that if your property is zoned residental. Sorta like what Daryl said. It would have to be zone RA or residental agricultural. I sorta wonder what the laws are in Arizona covering this, only for residental, because of the fact that in some of the places around here there are a few businesses mixed in with houses. (a few examples are a church that was built WAY after most of the houses on the road, a nursery (now defunct) and a corner store type place...)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Zoning regulations vary from state to state, from county to county, and from city to city.....so you'll have to check into the relevant ones for where you live.

-R