Dugas Road, Arizona.

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Dugas Road, Arizona.

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Mixing business with pleasure: a side trip with a co-worker for the Census, can't really give out too much info, Privacy, however it was along Dugas Road in Arizona. BTW no offense PeterB but your Civic wouldn't make it. The truck we drove there was taxed and I know my little car wouldn't make it! ENJOY the show!
ImageThe man behind the camera, most of the time. With an overlook of the Verde River none-the-less. NB there is a wildfire burning behind my left shoulder.

ImageA way bad pic of the San Francisco Peaks, which are near Flagstaff.

ImageVerde River
ImageScrub Oak
(don't worry I am getting to the CACTI!)
ImageDouglas Fir?
ImageA small globular type cactus, I think a Mamm but I am not sure!

ImageMacro of the same cacti.
ImageA clump of the same cacti as above.
ImageAgave...parryii?

ImageOne of many Agave with a flower stalk.
ImageA Mamm? in bloom.
ImageA wildflower with a lunch-time beverage.
ImageVista into an unknown Canyon at end of road off Dugas RD.
ImageFlowering Mamm w/ bottle to show scale!

ImageOpuntia of somesort, possibly the one with common name of Pancake PP. (there were many more along the road that were bigger with huge pads that were at least 12 inch diameter. Couldn't stop to take a pic tho. :(

ImageRed bloomed Echinocereus, not sure the name on it but there were several of these around in habitat!
ImageOld beat-up Opuntia!

ImageFlowering Yuccas

ImageAnother of the Echinocereus
ImageOne growing out of the rocks!!!
ImageFinally one that cooperated with me and showed me the inside of it's flowers without me having to fall off a cliff.
ImageA big old clump of them, with it looks like one spent bud.
ImageAnother one of them, there were a bunch of them around.

ImageLiked the spines on this Opuntia. I don't know what type it is.

ImageAlligator Juniper, and one of the largest I have ever seen. The trunk was about 5 feet around and it was over 30 feet all( an estimate!)
ImageBerries.
ImageDwarf lupine, looks like it already flowered.

ImageA sign along the route. We drove 22 miles to get to that place.
ImageO. phaeancantha I think.

ImageMore O. phaeancantha flowering as well.
ImageA prickly poppy
ImageLAstly a rare morning glory in Arizona.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter,
This is one of your best posts yet, I think.

The "Douglas Fir" would most likely be a Pinyon Pine, but I'd need a closer look to be more specific.

You also found a lot of Escobaria vivipara (pink flowered). I think the "mammillarias" without flowers are another Escobaria (desertii?) Peterb will have to confirm those IDs.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Daiv,
Thanks. I felt very wonderful being able to photograph stuff that not very many people if any see. (They might be common cacti, but I mean in that place. Not many people can make it there)
Thanks for the Ids on those cacti. I wasn't sure. I was pretty sure they weren't Mamms, but then again.. :)

Hmm, I should have taken a better pic of it, but let me see what I can do in the edit :)

I knew you would see the conifers in the pics and probably like them too :)

(edit)Daiv I can't seem to zoom in on it anymore and be able to save it, do you want em to send you a copy of the pic?) You should be able to zoom in more and maybe see it closer. I should have taken more pics but I was in a rush!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

For the Pinyon Pine? I'd say look up pictures on the web and see if they match what you remember. Since you saw it in person, that will be a more certain ID.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Ok Daiv, let me do that while it's fresh. :)
(after looking at a few images I think you are right, its a Pinyon Pine) I have never seen one of those before. For some reason I thought it was a Douglas Fir.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Excellent photos of a great habitat trip!

The Escobaria are all vivipara. Nice flowers!

peterb
Zone 9
Peterthecactusguy

PeterB,
thanks. I was glad to be able to head that way. The elevations were pretty high, around 6000 feet or so and it must get cold up there. I was surprised to find any cacti there. There were plenty of the Escobarias up there, I couldn't take pictures when we were traveling. It was for business after all.
Peterthecactusguy

Did a little research on cacti, and I think that it's safe to say that the Echinocereus is Echinocereus coccineus. The red flowers are pretty nice, I might have to pic up one of those!

Also I can understand now why I was confused on the Escobaria. They sure did look kinda like Mamms. I knew the flowers were wrong once I found them with ones on it. Like I said thanks for the ID help.:)

Those Opuntia are probably Opuntia chlorotica.

I think I saw an O. fragilis as well but we were moving and I saw it for a split second, but it was perking up with new growth on it.

And lastly what is a cold hardy Opuntia that looks like an O. santa-rita?(I don't know if they are that cold hardy or not?) A quick check of the list and maybe O. macrocentra. I think it might have been those, but I didn't see the spines up close. It was just a flash of purple. It was also nearer to I-17 then all the rest of the cacti that I saw. (I couldnt get pics cause we were going about 30MPH)

All and all that was a fun trip for me. While we failed at getting the job done, at least we saw some neat stuff along the way!
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Peter, you took fantastic pics. Beautiful plants and views. :thumbright: Just awesome!!
If I see your pics I get a little bit of homesick to Arizona. :D
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Peterthecactusguy

Ralf,
Well you are going to come to AZ eventually aren't you? I can show ya around the central part. :)

And btw thanks!
Glad you enjoyed the views :)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

peter, fantastic show!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

some very nice pictures;
it's allways interesting to see plants in their original habitat.

And Stella Artois? you get my approval :thumbright:
Peterthecactusguy

Arjen,
Thanks, I was lucky to be able to travel there!

Pilif, I like that beer. I hate most American beers, they suck compared to European beers :) I was waiting for someone to notice. The guy I went out there with was originally from Germany so his taste in beers are different then most Americans. (Mine are too, I hate Bud and most other Domestics). And yeah this was a unique area of habitat that not too many people were able to see. The road was a real tricky one to drive on, even in a Jeep.
iann

Post by iann »

Escobarias are just Mammillaria wannabees :) They are easy to distinguish in flower because the flowers come from the new tubercles at the apex while Mammillaria flowers come from a ring of older growth. Most Escobarias have a spiny ball appearance that is easy to recognise, but there are exceptions that will catch you out.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool pics, Peter.
Yes, O. chloratica and E. coccineus. Big clumps!