Dugas Road, Arizona.

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Thanks Darryl.

I am no expert at IDing, however I am getting much much better. :)

And yeah those clumps were huge! The Escobaria clumps were also pretty big!
:)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Dugas Road, Arizona.

BTW after spending some time looking at a relatively new cactus in Yavapai county, I am beginning to suspect that those clumps are E. yavapaiensis. (that is hard to spell, but I live in Yavapai county, just add ensis too it which means FROM, or like)
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Thanks for the photos Peter,
The Echinocereus yavapaiensis is a hexaploid (yes ! 6x) species named by Marc Baker in 2006. Marc does great work and this is an unusual member of the E. coccineus group. These are the first photos I've seen of the new species if these are that plant and they seem to be. I believe that the range is right according to Marc's description of it. I hope you get more close-ups of the female flowers especially next spring.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
Peterthecactusguy

Dean, I will try and take some excursions up in to the range of those. Even if those aren't the new species, I will look for some of the Echinocereus yavapaiensis. I will try and get close ups of any flowers on any of them that I come across, whether they are part of the E. coccineus family or not. I enjoy hiking, and so this spring I will get out there and look. I have read Marc Baker's paper on them, and I have some of his range data so I will take a gander this spring. And might weather depending take some hikes during the winter time. No matter where I go, I will put the topics up so that all can see. Please keep in mind that I am excited about these new plants. I saw their name on SEINET. I got some range data on that as well. :)
ali

Post by ali »

Excellent shots Peter!
:)
Peterthecactusguy

Peterthecactusguy

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthre ... erde-River" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I found this while looking for something else. It gives you guys an idea of how rough the road was. The guy who I was working with for the census (I can't name him, or describe him at all via his wishes) had a big truck that almost got stuck (his had 4wd) My Toyota wouldn't make it unless I had some serious help. :)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

A. Dean Stock wrote:Thanks for the photos Peter,
The Echinocereus yavapaiensis is a hexaploid (yes ! 6x) species named by Marc Baker in 2006. Marc does great work and this is an unusual member of the E. coccineus group. These are the first photos I've seen of the new species if these are that plant and they seem to be. I believe that the range is right according to Marc's description of it. I hope you get more close-ups of the female flowers especially next spring.
Dean
I realize this is an old post, but I found this bad boy just today in Payson, at least 30 miles outside its range according to SEINet. If this isn't E. yavapaiensis, it's doing a great impersonation; we've found hundreds of these clumps throughout New River, where they're quite common. The plant pictured below is the only example I found in Payson today.

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
Peterthecactusguy

lol I rarely come to CG anymore GS, but that is a nice one. we have found a lot of these of late in a lot of places.
Marc Baker's paper, and SEInet give good locations for where these plants are located at :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

That looks like yavapaiensis indeed. Marc is still in the middle of accurately mapping this one. It's a tricky business, mapping all the claret cups of AZ.

peterb
Zone 9