Make a super-glue graft step by step

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

madadi wrote:would you recommend this method only for decent size seedlings? around 1-2+cm diameter? you don't need super glue for small seedlings right? great info you shared on this site.
Well, it's not the size it's the epidermis/skin. Young seedlings have soft skin that do not push the scion away from the stock when it dries a little. And the older scions skin can handle the super-glue - the younger can't.
/Christer
madadi

Post by madadi »

thanks. i think i will try to graft seedlings without any support. seems people have had good results with that method.
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

I never knew you could use glue on plants :O You'd think it could poison them. Great to know!!
Christer Johansson

jimmie25 wrote:I never knew you could use glue on plants :O You'd think it could poison them. Great to know!!
There are no poison in the correct super-glue. You can glue a bleeding wound on a human with it :read2:
iann

Post by iann »

Christer Johansson wrote:There are no poison in the correct super-glue. You can glue a bleeding wound on a human with it :read2:
It works great, and hardly leaves a scar, but after a couple of weeks it goes black as dirt sticks to it. Too much information?

Just for info, the stuff they use in hospitals is not quite the same as the stuff they sell at Home Depot. Although the glue is basically the same chemical, the curing reaction is different. The curing process of DIY glues can damage or even kill flesh. Also, the glue should only be used on the surface of the skin, because it prevents healing when used inside a wound (it quite literally holds the wound open by preventing the two sides from fusing properly).
--ian
Christer Johansson

Also, the glue should only be used on the surface of the skin, because it prevents healing when used inside a wound (it quite literally holds the wound open by preventing the two sides from fusing properly).
Same goes for gluing cacti-grafts ;)
iann

Post by iann »

Do you think the heat produced by the curing glue is what damages small seedlings?
--ian
Christer Johansson

iann wrote:Do you think the heat produced by the curing glue is what damages small seedlings?
Maybe, but I never feel any heat when I glue on my finger :roll: But then again, I have a "dead" skin layer on my fingers. The old epidermis on old seedlings may be drier and more "dead" so it can stand the heat as well, like older seedlings can take more sunlight? :roll:
AFAIK it's the sunlight that's trigger the developing of the skin on both humans an cacti :roll:
promethean_spark

yep

Post by promethean_spark »

I've had decent luck doing super-glue grafts of digitostigma tubercles to pereskiopsis of similar diameter (66% success so far). It allows for making grafts that would be too unstable for normal grafting to work.

I guess it might be possible to do a splice graft (as with a fruit tree) with a digi tubercle too.
Christer Johansson

Updated the pictures on the first post!! :)
iann

Post by iann »

AFAIK it's the sunlight that's trigger the developing of the skin on both humans an cacti
So shouldn't babies be born with no skin? Scary image :shock:

You can feel the heat of curing superglue when you stick your fingers together (don't ask!). How much heat depends how much glue. If you remember to check next time (instead of panicking :lol:) you should be able to feel it.
--ian
Christer Johansson

iann wrote:So shouldn't babies be born with no skin? Scary image :shock:
:lol: That's a good one :)
No, baby's have baby-skin and it's very fragile. Same goes for seedlings skin. On humans the skin is an organ that produce for example some vitamins and the skin on seedlings helps to regulate photosynthesis. All cacti produce a protection in/on their skin when they are in the sun. The same goes for humans :blackeye:

Mature skin on both humans and cacti can stand more damage and will stand to bee expose to super-glue. I don't know how it feels to put some super-glue on the skin inside my mouth and I will not try it :roll:
sabbar

what about UHU

Post by sabbar »

Hello everybody..
I am new here and would like to thank all of you for this nice forum and interesting info.
I have seen in a movie in youtube workers in a nursery fixing the scion using "liquid plastic gun" I tried this this method but with no success (the babies shrinked and moved away from the rootstock. I am curious if using the German brand UHU glue would work ??
Thanks in advance for contributions
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

sabbar, how old were the scions? this method doesn't work very well on (young) seedlings
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
sabbar

UHU as a glue

Post by sabbar »

Hi Arjen..
Thanks for the reply..
Indeed you are right.. they were small a bit (2cm dia. or less)..
but what about UHU the yellow glue?? any ideas??