Convertable "greenhouse" for the apartment style h

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Loph

Convertable "greenhouse" for the apartment style h

Post by Loph »

houses here are often lined up liek townhouses, whih means tall and skinny. we have 4 decks liek this one, with 5 sides concrete (minus a door and window).

All you really need is a roof/floor to make it work.

Anyway if temperature is not a concern (Too cold) and rain is a concern (IE anywhere tropical) this system has proven useful. i got this done 4.5 years ago and still doing great!

when its rainy roll the plastic down, when it clears up roll it up.

if you need mor epics of how this is built let em know, but the idea is rather basic. have a roll of plastic around a heavier metal bar (this will roll down via gravity). attach the top to the ceiling and place a coupe of guides down either side (in a bit). attach rope to pullies and bam. actaully you could use all kinds of materials for it like wood and tarp if you dont need clear. but if your in a windy area, metal is key :)

materials needed

Guide bars on each side and on both sides of plastic = x4 the height of area to be covered.

plastic of whatever size needed. tarps work as temps but dont let light through and the sun eats tem within a year or 2...

a heavyy bar for bottom of plastic to allow to unroll.

3 pullies

rope

screws/bolts etc depending what your fastening it all to.

it is basicaly the exact same idea as the bamboo shade blinds you see in stores, except your using plastic instead of bamboo strips.

not good for cold, but great cheap way of protecting "outdoor" plants when it gets WET.

hope it gives some people some ideas :)

Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You've got the plants to prove it works too! :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I was thinking of doing something like that eventually, but I doubt I need it to be honest. I think what I need is a fence!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Loph

Post by Loph »

ya i doubt arizona needs this.

this style is good for one purpose, rain/wind blocker. it does nothing for heat. so people that live in condos or that style house (very common here in asia) its great. before that i could only grow hylocereus back there, now there are lophs, ariocarpus, turbs etc that do no worse thana proper greenhouse. plus its relatively cheap....this cost me $150 usd for 2 decks to be done (and they install it)...

seen as there are some people from malaysia, philippenes, thailand etc here thought it may help out... :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Loph, might help out people in Apartments or condos on the East Coast of America too :)

And yeah, in AZ I doubt I need it either. I was thinking more for winter time actually, but I don't want my plants getting too HOT hahaha
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.