What's digging in my greenhouse?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
lancer99

What's digging in my greenhouse?

Post by lancer99 »

I left the plastic screen doors on my greenhouse open for a few nights, because even with a fan, temps were getting over 100 degrees during the day.

Something is digging in my plants. There hasn't been any harm done to the plants themselves, just that some smaller opuntioids and other plants have ended up covered in soil.

I've noticed squirrels digging into some of the plants on my patio, but only the plants in really big pots where there was a lot of exposed soil surface area. They've ignored the smaller pots/plants.

Maybe it's just a more desperate squirrel?

Thx,
-R
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I suppose it could be a squirrel. Do you have Chipmunks?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I've had the same problem in the same greenhouse. Maybe that model greenhouse comes with built in gremlins or something.

Whatever was digging up my seedlings was small and more interested in disturbing the soil in the pots than harming or eating the plants. Rodents come to mind, but I like the haunted GH idea better.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Thx daiv, chipmunks makes perfect sense, and we have them here.

But I like Harriet's idea of the haunted greenhouse too :)

-R
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think I'd rather have either of those than Racoons. I had Racoon trouble in CA. At first it was fun having them and then they got the idea of unhooking my hanging cactus and watching them hit the ground. I had a lot of epis and they just thought that was great entertainment. :x
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

No chipmunks here, but the (Yank) squirrels dig in any patch of soil that looks a bit fresh. Seed trays are their favourites :roll:
--ian
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Squirrels :roll: I learned quickly that I have to cover everything with a stone top dressing or the squirrels will just dig in it. They see soil or something that looks soft, they dig.
TimN

Post by TimN »

There are a lot of birds here in AZ that will "dig", sort of. They stick their beak in the ground and flick their head, it throws the dirt/rocks/seedlings everywhere.

I'd say half the time a plant goes missing I can find it laying somewhere nearby. I guess it annoys the local birds that I put plants in their way.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tim,
yeah they do that. I think it's the wind that has blown my plants over, but then again, maybe its one of those pesky little cactus wrens that like to destroy everything! None of my cacti were eaten, just looked like a tornado came through!

As for chipmunks they are destructive as well!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.