Succulent Shelf Nothing Fancy, COMPLETED!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Succulent Shelf Nothing Fancy, COMPLETED!

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Had some scrap wood laying around and told hubby i needed a shelf built along the back of the garage where it gets many hrs of early sun for me to put all my succulents on and it will free up alot of room in my mini GH. So he built this, still have to get a few coats of poly on it and then add the roll plastic on top, for those days of bad weather and also to slowly adjust the succulents to stronger sunlight. Once we move the patio swing to where the pond is gona be then he can finish building me more shelfs along the back. :P One section is wider then the other to accomidate larger pots. Also i had him tapper/cut the one end so that i dont bump into it when comming out the garage door or when i walk down off the deck, im also gona have him shortin the prop legs so that there not so long and noticeable. I am also gona put a bunch of house plants under the shelf.

Here it is after getting it painted.
standing on the back deck for a diffrent view.
Once i get it completed and plants on it i will post pics probably late tonight or tomarrow morn.
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok got the poly on and its dry since it was in the sun, now the protective cover is up..
and heres what it looks like rolled back.
This shelf gets sun from the time it comes up till 2:15 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day its in the shade.
Will get pics of the succulents on there and post um by tonight, gota move um outa the GH and water them then get them on the shelf.. :D
iann

Post by iann »

I was going to ask if you were putting a roof on, but I guess you answered that one :roll: Looks very nice without the plastic but I guess you have to be practical in the great white north.
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Completed, i still have 6 more succulents to repot and get on this shelf and theres 4 on the shelf already that need to be repotted. Im happy with it none the less and i think the plants will be much more happy as well..

Iann theres a overhang from the garage roof that helps, but the way the wind blows the rain i used the plastic, since we didnt have anything else to use for a roof. :roll:
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tracey that looks nice. I don't care for the plastic much either, but it serves a purpose so I could live with it. :) I mean the wood is cool, so I would want to use some wood or something, but then again, you do want them to get some light so :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Another creative solution. Using the lattice on the roof is a good idea. Lighter weight and still lets light through.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Thanks guys, you got that right Daiv, "Lighter weight and still lets light through" its nice i can roll the plastic all the way back to the wall and it lets all the light right in its also nice the sun hits it directly infront and then to the side as the morning sun makes its way up and around, they only get the cool morning sun then durring the hotest part of the day/afternnon around 2 to 5pm they are in the shade. :P
floyd

Post by floyd »

Great job!! I like your project and see that the plants like it too. Thanks for sharing.
Lets Grow Cacti!!