Desert Breeze by TCSS June 2010

Cactus and Succulent Articles and Information from other Societies, Websites, or Groups
Ralf

Desert Breeze by TCSS June 2010

Post by Ralf »

This month in the Desert Breeze the monthly newsletter of the
Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society is one article about the Genus Sanseveria and one about Welwitschia.
Also some impressions of the Sonoran VIII Conference in Tucson.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Ralf,

Thanks for your post. I live in Tucson. I've had the TCSS plant database bookmarked for a couple of years but I was unaware that Desert Breeze exists. It looks like a good resource to be aware of, especially if you live in Tucson. I'll have to check out their monthly meeting. It took someone in Germany to bring this to my attention! Like your Cree quote.

Lair3514
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Lair3514,
This is the primary purpose of this new section - to make more cactus resources visible.

I would highly recommend going to a meeting if you live in Tucson. A local club like that is absolutely the best way to dig deeper into the hobby. Even more so than the forum here. :shock: (But of course, it is easy to do both! 8) )
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Easier to do both when one has money Daiv! :)

Pretty soon I am going the join CAC+SS (or whatever the abriveation is for the Central Arizona C+S society is!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Lair3514

Look what's scheduled for July 1, 2010 meeting of TCSS

Post by Lair3514 »

Daiv,

You're absolutely right. I'm making an effort (i.e., prying myself away from TV/computer) to go to next Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society meeting (http://www.tucsoncactus.org/html/2010_July_meeting.html). The topic sounds interesting (Spectacular Saguaros and Spectacular Lightning Strikes) and the location is central, only about 4 miles away.

Peterthecactusguy, you have a point also. However, membership is relatively cheap at $15/year and maybe they won't insist on joining right away.

Lair3514
peterb

Post by peterb »

I attended the CACSS meetings for a few months before I paid dues. It's not a heavy duty thing. The meetings are awesome. I'll be joining the Tucson club this year as well as CACSS.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:Easier to do both when one has money Daiv! :)
Money is absolutely not an issue. There may be a few grumpy old guys in the mix, but the majority of club members are happy to have any visitors and are not in a big hurry to get your $15. That money primarily goes to cover the cost of sending out the newsletter. If you are not a member, you don't get the newsletter.

PTCG - I know you've been reluctant to join for this reason and that is fine, but anyone considering should just go to a meeting. I guarantee nobody will ask you for money on your first visit. In fact, you are almost certain to come home with a new plant and be ahead of the game.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Ok. I am sorta shy and embarrassed about not having a ton of money, but I will look into going to the next meeting. I have enough money to drive down to the gardens! :)

Besides I might sneak off and buy some more cacti! :) They are cheap at the gift shop :)

(edit) Even if I dont get any new plants, I like talking about cacti so I am sure I will be able to be fine at the meetings, who knows maybe I will bump into some of the forum members there too :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

[center]That money primarily goes to cover the cost of sending out the newsletter. If you are not a member, you don't get the newsletter. [/center]
We're really parsing this one. Yes, you don't get the newsletter mailed to you if you're not a member. However, Tucson Cactus & Succulent Society's Desert Breeze is available for download at their web site, whether or not you join.

http://www.tucsoncactus.org/html/newsletter.html

The roster of speakers TCSS has had at its meetings so far this year is another reason to attend. I'm kind of sorry I didn't know about this before...and you get to interact with other human beings, not just your keyboard and monitor.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It was a pleasure for me to show you the activities of the TCSS. But I don't live in Tucson however I'm the one and only international Member of the TCSS and I'm very proud of this 8)
So I should do my possible part of their/our work.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.

Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Ralf, you are a great international representative of the TCSS. Thanks again for bouncing that information from Thuringia back across the Atlantic to Tucson.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks so much, Lair. So am I! :lol: 8)
In the Desert Breeze of July 2009 on page 4 is a short report about me. 8) 8)

Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

The link to the July 2009 Desert Breeze is an excellent introduction, Ralf. Sounds like you've had a long-time romance with cacti and have kept yourself active in related pursuits. Your accomplishments are impressive.

You visited Tucson in July! That was brave. Glad you met people at TCSS who were able to enhance your desert experience in Arizona.

In the hot evenings when I go out to water my plants, I marvel that they have survived another day of this blasted summer heat. I hope attending TCSS meetings will give me more insight into how to take care of them. I'll name drop "Ralf Holzheu, international member". Someone is bound to remember your visit last July.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Lair3514 wrote: You visited Tucson in July! That was brave. I'll name drop "Ralf Holzheu, international member". Someone is bound to remember your visit last July.
No I wasn't there at July. It was end of May to begins of June. I'm somewhat crazy but not enough to visit Tucson in the hot summertime. :wink:
Of course will someone remember in me, especially Ed Bartlett. Many greetings to him if you meet Ed!! He's meanwhile a really good friend of me.

Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Of course will someone remember in me, especially Ed Bartlett. Many greetings to him if you meet Ed!!
Ralf, I'll report back to you after I attend July 1 meeting.

I noticed your picture from the Chiricahuas in the photo contest. Did you see any wild turkeys? You got the most out of your trip to southern Arizona! I've hiked three of the trails, and camped at Rustlers Roost. Chiricahuas are interesting. Hope you drove up Mt. Lemmon when you were in Tucson.

Lair3514