Basic question

Create seed of your own
charlpic

Basic question

Post by charlpic »

This might be an evidence for most of you... I hope my questions are clear.

Will a cacti that flowers automatically produce a fruit or does it needs to be pollinated to do so ?

Another way to ask would be... If I collected seeds from a cacti, can I assume they are fertile ? I would think not but if someone could summarize how that whole pollinated/not, fertile/not, producing seeds/not thing works, i'd be grateful.
Loph

Post by Loph »

if they are making seeds, they should be good. sometimes you get underdeveloped ones, but usually they are good when left to mature.

some species need to be crossed by another plant, others do not. depends on species mostly.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
hob

Post by hob »

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

Loph wrote:if they are making seeds, they should be good. sometimes you get underdeveloped ones, but usually they are good when left to mature.

some species need to be crossed by another plant, others do not. depends on species mostly.
Ok, that was the kind of answer I was expecting. Would this generalization be correct:

If a self-fertile specie make a fruit, it should contain viable seeds. A non self-fertile specie would not make fruit if not pollinated at all, would make non-viable seeds if pollinated with a non-compatible plant, would make viable hybrid seeds if pollinated with a compatible plant and would make viable seeds if pollinated with same specie.

I do understand we're talking about nature here... but I just wanted to get the big picture.
iann

Post by iann »

Cacti pollinated by an incompatible partner generally make nothing at all. The flower just dries up and drops off.

In some cases, self-fertile plants only set seed if they are physically pollinated. In other cases they can pollinate themselves just by the action of opening and closing the flower. Cacti seem pretty good at pollinating themselves but tickling them can't hurt.
--ian
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

Thank you everybody, that makes it clear. :)