A few pics

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I'm sure you know how it goes. If the plant puts up a good fight and doesn't want to come up, that's a sign of a healthy root ball, but if it doesn't offer much resistance.... Just give one a tug and see if it moves. I can't imagine there's anything good going on down there, based upon your reports.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

This guy seems happy in his new home. :) One of my pups has been intensely interested in this developing bud and flower. The last three mornings, he's made a beeline for this plant to take note of the latest developments.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nice! Acanthocalycium?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

After four back-breaking hours with a pick, shovel, and handsaw in 105° heat, my large Oleander is gone.

Exit Oleander, enter Yucca aloifolia, Agave ferdinandi-regis, and 16 landscape bricks. 37 new plants later, the backyard is shaping up.

Before and after
TimN

Post by TimN »

Yay! Another oleander gone! You have done a great service to the world! Besides taking a LOT of water, they are messy and require a lot of trimming.

I don't know where they are native, but it isn't AZ. Another stupid landscaping plant introduced because they grow fast and don't burst into flame in the summer sun.

Besides, the leaves, etc are poisonous.

Beautiful Palo Verde, doing it's job providing nice shade!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
John C

Post by John C »

Nice garden! But I have to disagree with you Tim. If planted in a spot where they will have lots of space so as to not need to be trimmed they look great in my opinion. One side of our yard is lined in them and once they take they require no water other than rainwater and looks beautiful when they grow naturally without being trimmed into traditional bush forms. We have never trimmed ours. But if in a tight spot I can see where one would dislike them.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

For whatever reason, Oleander is considered a real pariah in the Valley, probably because they're just everywhere here. I have nothing against them, I just didn't need such an oversized monster in a prime spot on my property. They're fine lining the streets and shopping malls of Phoenix, or other spacious areas, as you suggest.
John C

Post by John C »

GermanStar wrote:For whatever reason, Oleander is considered a real pariah in the Valley, probably because they're just everywhere here. I have nothing against them, I just didn't need such an oversized monster in a prime spot on my property. They're fine lining the streets and shopping malls of Phoenix, or other spacious areas, as you suggest.
I completely understand. Cacti do come before oleander :wink:
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Heres a pic of our oleander plants. Please excuse the mess in the pic.

"Where the West begins"
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

^Nice privacy hedge, if that is the intent. I am curious about their size. Are they relatively young plants or are they small for the same reason they have no flowers -- not enough water? My Oleander was tied into my drip system, it would have been 20' tall or more if left untrimmed, and it was only about 13 y/o.
Last edited by GermanStar on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

John C wrote:
GermanStar wrote:For whatever reason, Oleander is considered a real pariah in the Valley, probably because they're just everywhere here. I have nothing against them, I just didn't need such an oversized monster in a prime spot on my property. They're fine lining the streets and shopping malls of Phoenix, or other spacious areas, as you suggest.
I completely understand. Cacti do come before oleander :wink:
37 new plants added to the backyard, with one plant removed. It was as if my yard were a blank canvas, waiting for inspiration.

In total, I've added:

17 Agave
10 Cactus
2 Yucca
2 Sansevieria
1 Hesperaloe
1 Euphorbia

along with 4 non-succulents, including a Pomegranate.
John C

Post by John C »

GermanStar wrote:^Nice privacy hedge, if that is the intent. I am curious about their size. Are they relatively young plants or are they small for the same reason they have no flowers -- not enough water? My Oleander was tied into my drip system, it would have been 20' tall or more if left untrimmed, and it was only about 13 y/o.
Yes, and no. It does add alot to the privacy but it also makes a fence alot more exciting and tropical to look at. Before that's all that side of our yard was, a fence then the neighbors roof, but now its a lush green area.
Hmmm. I believe they are close to 15 years old. Most of the oleander around here only seem to flower from spring- mid summer. Then just off and on from then. So normally there are no flowers this time of year on any of the plants around here. There are a few flowers lingering on the plants this year, mainly for the neighbor to see. :roll: It's funny before the new neighbor moved in (to the house in the picture) our old neighbor would keep the blinds facing our yard closed all year, but when the bushes turned pink with flowers the blinds would remain open. :lol:
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Forgot to add the hight.

I would say they are easily 10 feet tall, probably a couple feet higher in most spots.

In your case, for 37 plants, that was a great trade! 8)
"Where the West begins"
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

More cactus from out back. One Fero is no more than 4" across, easily the smallest Fero I've ever seen. And I finally found a couple of pincushions, each under the fierce protection of a large jumping cholla.