A few pics

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I suppose that could be a problem. I have some plants that might be common around your parts, including Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans), White Gaura (Gaura lindheimeri), and Fire Bush (Hamelia patens). Rabbits come along every now and then and beat the hell out the Gaura and Fire Bush, and they just leave all the dead broken pieces on the ground. Gauras come back fast, so no biggie, but I'm very unhappy at what they've done to my poor Fire Bush. In general, it's the Florida tropicals that are most at risk here, because they're wet and delicious and ill equipped to defend themselves.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Front yard shots, having survived the worst of summer. I wish I could get far enough back to take similar shots of the backyard...

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

What is the plant with the orange flowers?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Thanks, it is very pretty.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Thank you. They're very large and flower constantly, until they go dormant for the winter.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

GS rabbits eat cactus too. I have had some problems with them munching on various kinds of cacti. The damage is too small to be from javelina which would just eat the whole pad or off.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I imagine they go after easy fare like Opuntia, but show me a rabbit that eats Cylindropuntia, and I'll show you one tortured beast. Besides, eating Agaves is far, far worse. Care to guess how long it takes damaged Agaves to restore their beautiful symmetrical form? I wouldn't either. :idea:

BTW, rabbit took several nips out of my San Pedro, which is now permanently scarred. Still doesn't bother me as much as the damaged Agaves though.... :crybaby:
Peterthecactusguy

hmm interesting, because my agaves seem to be left alone from rabbits, of course that doesn't include the plants that were run over BY idiots.

I have no idea how long it takes Agave to grow, my don't seem to want to grow at all.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Well, some Agaves are more vulnerable than others. Though I do have substantial rabbit damage on a couple of my A. americanas. That doesn't bother me so much, because they're very fast growers. I'd post pics of the all the damage, but I'd rather not put myself through the pain of snapping the pics...

What's with your Agaves anyways, were they store bought or pups? Rootless or nearly rootless pups don't do well in summer here, you have to water the crap out of them to just keep 'em alive. Once summer is over, they should throw down some nice roots and manage much better (if they survive). You can check their general health by seeing how firm the leaves are. If all the leaves feel mushy, they're in trouble. Also, I hope you have them in some shade. Very few Agaves enjoy full sun here.
Peterthecactusguy

nope, most of them are in full sun, and they were the ones that say for most of last winter (yes during the rains!) in a container. They were given to my ex-inlaws and they didn't want them nor tell me that I could have them til late spring. They sat in water for months. Maybe the roots were rotten I don't know. I know they are still alive, but not doing perfectly. I don't really know how Agave grow.

(btw these are all A. americana)

And why can't they do well in full sun? I see plenty that are healthy in full sun, mine just aren't seeming to grow much, maybe next year.

I water them everyday at least a gallon, sometimes two. I also give them succulent fertilizer once a month.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Full sun in the Valley will kill most Agaves, though healthy established A. americana is not among them, but like nearly all Agaves, they fare better with filtered sun or a few hours of shade per day, particularly in summer. If your Agaves can't get by with one good watering every week or two after all this time, they're probably toast. Healthy A. americana should be able to manage without water for months on occasion. Heck, there are literally millions of unwanted A. americana pups here in the Valley. I'd try a fresh start in about a month, the perfect time to stick Agaves in the ground here is right around the corner.
Peterthecactusguy

Or I can wait and see what happens to them over the winter.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Hey, just pull one up and see what it looks like. I had a small americana in poor shape a while back (soft leaves) and pulled it up to have a look -- no roots, not one (though it was shooting off a pup). I tossed it. Pull one up and look, if it has a healthy root ball, put it back. Agaves are very forgiving about having their roots disturbed, they barely mind it at all.
Peterthecactusguy

hmm maybe I will do that tomorrow. I can check and see what their roots look like or at least check one of them anyways.