Hi out there

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
bumpymudtree

Hi out there

Post by bumpymudtree »

Hi everyone.
Found this great forum and started reading some of the posts. Very informative, answers lots of questions I've been wondering about cacti.
I have a small collection of ferocactus,echinocactus,notocactus and a few succulents from the euphorbia group (I think thats what they are).
I want to attempt growing some plants from seed, and any pointers that hasn't already been posted, I would love to know.
Great forum, glad to be a part of it. :D
templegatejohn

Seed Growing

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

As you say there are numerous posts on seed growing on the Forum, but here are one or two additional pointers.

As you would for any plant make sure the seed is as fresh as possible. Some cactus seeds are viable for several years, others deteriorate quite rapidly.

If you can, try to sow seed of one type only. Mixed seeds germinate at different times, sometimes several weeks or even months apart and this brings it own problems.

Make sure that all the equipment you use is as clean as you can get it and the compost is sterile. Small seeds should be sown on the surface, larger seeds buried to their own depth. Keep them moist but never wet. Keep in good light but not sunlight.

Now it's down to you, there are more ways of raising seeds than there are of skinning a cat. Find a method that works for you and don't give in. Good luck.

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Welcome to the forum bumpymudtree. As you have stated, there is alot of valuable info on the board.
Enjoy and don't be a stranger.

Bill
bumpymudtree

Post by bumpymudtree »

Thanks John and Bill
Yes lots of great reading here.
I really enjoy reading more than posting, though I'm somewhat new to growing cacti species I have for several years worked with training trees into bonsai.
I've always been interested in the cacti but haven't found the time until now. :)
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hi bumpymudtree
welcome to the forum,Daiv has done a great job here
and i hope you enjoy it as much as i do :D

Bob