New Shelf (Complete)

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
John C

New Shelf (Complete)

Post by John C »

It was inevitable. Something had to be constructed to hold more plants. So last night and this morning I worked on a shelf for seedlings and rooting cuttings.

I figured I would take a break and get out of my 110f greenhouse, and show you guys my work so far.

The shelf so far. (Please excuse the messy, weedy greenhouse cleaning comes next :wink: )

I attached a small board on the back of the shelf so nothing falls off, and plan to put one on the front as well.

A small pot to show how big it is.

With some plants on it. I am going to add 1/2 of a board on the front to make it a little bigger.

Last edited by John C on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Very good job, John. Well done!
But the biggest shelf is soon too small. :wink: :lol: :lol:
The next step is to build up a new an bigger greenhouse, belive me.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Yup i agree soon your gona need a much bigger GH im in that boat myself right now, soon as funds come in im building!! Looks good, now get to cleaning them weeds.. :P J/K!! :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
iann

Post by iann »

Cool, a shade shelf. I think if I was in Texas, I'd have a whole shade greenhouse 8) No way I could stand to be in there in summer :oops:
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

Why not take the plastic off for the summer? :-k
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Tony wrote:Why not take the plastic off for the summer? :-k
I suspect it is to control water/keep the rain off, that's why my plants have stayed in my greenhouse this summer.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

Yes, next comes a bigger greenhouse. I figured I would try to make do with a new shelf till next year.
Tony wrote:Why not take the plastic off for the summer? :-k
I have considered that. I don't know how wise a choice that is though. I like watering my plants at somewhat consistant intervals. We normally don't get much (normally none) rain this time of year, but when the occasion does come it pours. Also have to take into account that thesprinklers go on every few nights. Plus then it is more likely that critters get to them (such as the stupid squirrels). This year was very unusual with the amount of rain due to hurricane alex, who brought about 6 in of rain. Normally there is a drought now.
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Complete!

"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

John,
good Idea to add the pieces of wood on the edge to keep things from falling off. When I make more perm. shelves for my place I will need to do the same...
I already lost an LW because of that.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
John C

Post by John C »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:John,
good Idea to add the pieces of wood on the edge to keep things from falling off. When I make more perm. shelves for my place I will need to do the same...
I already lost an LW because of that.
That sucks! Sorry to hear that! I have had opuntias fall off the shelf when the wind used to blow the plastic before it was more secure. Of course they are opuntias so they were fine. :wink: Otherwise I have had a few other cacti almost fall off, so I figured the wood on the edge would be a good idea, especially since its lower than the table.
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yeah. IT did suck. I am not sure if it was wind, or critters, or what, but I found it on the ground twice. And the second time I re-potted it it didn't like it very much and turned an awful yellow color then turned brown and rotted. I think that the second time took away too many of the roots... oh well...
I learned one thing.. and I have fixed the problem so far as I can tell. I have a can of paint on one end and an old bottle of vitamin b water on the other... keeps them from falling if the wind blows. I know it works cause I have found other crap blown off my porch.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.